ota for genie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bucksy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
I just signed up for direct tv have a question will any usb ota tuner work?

ota tuner for genie

I just signed up for direct tv will any usb ota tuner work?

Thanks to iceberg's help my AM21 works great with my HR34(Genie) :)

no
The AM21 does not add any extra tuners. Also only 2 of the 5 tuners can be used for OTA

so it would be for recording
0 OTA 5 SAT
1 OTA 4 SAT
2 OTA 3 SAT

max

no
The AM21 does not add any extra tuners. Also only 2 of the 5 tuners can be used for OTA

so it would be for recording
0 OTA 5 SAT
1 OTA 4 SAT
2 OTA 3 SAT

max

Iceberg, you helped me out in a different thread about the AM21. I just got it installed today, and in the signal strength, it shows 2 OTA tuners.
But are you saying that with an HR34 I won't be able to record/watch more than 5 shows simultaneously?

Ok, but I can mix and match any combination of 5 OTA/SAT shows to record/watch. Correct?

Hey Iceberg,

Along these same lines re: AM21 & HR34... I was told that there was a tuner in the 34 that could be used for off-air reception. The reason for my asking... There is an off air station in my town that does not display in my channel guide with my HR24. I have confirmed with the head engineer @ this station that they are in fact sending signal and guide info to DTV. I called DTV months ago and they sent to to their engineers to look into - I didnt expect resolution anyway from DTV. So, back to the question... Can I use the HR34 & AM21 and manually add this station in the guide or will the 34 pick it up. I was told via this forum a few months back that I would not receive the guide data for this channel but I could receive the channel. Does this sound accurate?

Thanks in advance - so for the circular facts/question

yes the HR34 "scans" for all channels in your market and adds them. If its not in the "database" there is no guide info.
I have 4 like that here in Minneapolis)
5-3 MeTV
5-6 ThisTV
23-3 Country Network
29-3 Bounce TV

Those 4 stations wont show up on a HR2X and AM21 as they're not in the database

I can set manual timers for programs on there

If you dont mind me asking, what is the channel in question? (call sign would be the best)

The callsign is WDAF-TV 4.2 in kansas city.

I'm not worried about the channel guide info not being there honestly. Its the best I can expect anyway.

Thanks for the help!

yeah its not in the database....I even looked to see if there was another AntennaTV affiliate that used the same RF channel as WDAF did (34). Then you could have plugged in a zip for say Des Moines, IA and the guide info would at least show. But no other Antenna affiliates use RF34 to broadcast on (even if it remapped to 66-2 it still would have worked as the AM21 only tunes in the RF channel)

Yea, I added St Louis as a secondary market because I saw that they had a 4.2 - it wasn't Antenna TV. I thought it would open the gate for the signal to come thru on for my HR 24 & AM21 combo - it didn't work.

sadly no. It has to match what the RF channel is which in this case WDAF broadcasts on 34 (but maps to 4)

If all you want is the ability to be able to see 4-2 on your HR24 load the following zip
Thats Minneapolis and our PBS uses 34 as their RF channel. It will map to 2 but there is a 2-2 here that would at least allow you to view the channel

There are other cities that have a subchannel on RF34 but some of them match station numbers to existing KC local #'s

Another option is Baton Rouge. They have a 24/7 weather channel on RF34 but maps to 33

Again it doesnt matter what station you use with the database...it just need to be able to tune in RF34-2 (to get the subchannel)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)