ota for genie

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The AM21 only knows how to tune a RF channel. Doesnt matter what the guide says or anything

Great example is here in Minneapolis. Because the market is so huge there are duplicate numbers.
43 is the HSN (home shopping network) affiliate here in Mpls proper. Its low powered digital and broadcasts on RF43
about 150 miles to the SW of Minnepaolis is Redwood Falls (still in the Mpls DMA). 43 there is a satellite station of the Mpls ABC and also is on RF43

So even on the HR34 I can tune in 43 and get HSN but the guide info shows ABC

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you - Great info. I think I understand now what you are saying - explains why the StL 4-2 wouldn't come through. Im tied up on a few other projects now but plan to move the 34 to my man room this weekend and give your advice a shot. I tried a few other secondary markets that had 4-2 but they weren't M/StP or Baton Rouge. Fingers crossed! Many thanks!

Im tied up on a few other projects now but plan to move the 34 to my man room this weekend and give your advice a shot. I tried a few other secondary markets that had 4-2 but they weren't M/StP or Baton Rouge. Fingers crossed! Many thanks!
couple thoughts
-if you put the AM21 on the HR34 you wont have to worry about it. It will scan in
-If you're using the HR24/AM21 combo you NEED to use one of the options I posted above. The AM21 tunes the RF channel which you need it to be 34. Doesn't matter if it maps to 4-2, 2-2, 55-2, 69-2 or anything in between. When you select that station the AM21 knows to tune to RF34 2nd channel in the "mux" (subchannel).

Looking at the spreadsheet I have there is only ONE station that uses RF34 and maps to 4-2 (and has guide info) and that is WCIV in Charleston, SC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCIV
NAME CHANNEL RF_CHL
WCIVDT2 4.2 34

couple thoughts
-if you put the AM21 on the HR34 you wont have to worry about it. It will scan in
-If you're using the HR24/AM21 combo you NEED to use one of the options I posted above. The AM21 tunes the RF channel which you need it to be 34. Doesn't matter if it maps to 4-2, 2-2, 55-2, 69-2 or anything in between. When you select that station the AM21 knows to tune to RF34 2nd channel in the "mux" (subchannel).

Looking at the spreadsheet I have there is only ONE station that uses RF34 and maps to 4-2 (and has guide info) and that is WCIV in Charleston, SC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCIV
NAME CHANNEL RF_CHL
WCIVDT2 4.2 34

Thanks ice would that work same for me if I got another AM21 for my HR24-200 in the St.louis ,Mo market? Thanks for help :)

correct...but again you need to use a secondary zip code that has the same RF channel (NOT the channel it maps to) to work properly. The AM21 is "dumb" as it tunes the RF channel. What it maps to is irrelevant so using the case above for the guy in KC if he loads the Minneapolis zip he will be able to see AnatennaTV...except it will show on 2-2 instead of 4-2. Again the mapping is irrelevant

In your example (St Louis) there are 3 stations that the subchannels are not mapped in. The number in ( ) is the actual channel it broadcasts on
2-2 (43)AntennaTV
30-3 (31) Country Network
46-2 (47) MeTV

The country network is unique as its on a -3 (because of the Sinclair/CoolTV thing...I'm the same way in Minneapolis)

Looking at the lists there is no other AntennaTV station that uses 43 as the RF channel. In simpler terms, you can load a zip that will give you access to it, but the guide info will be wrong (as it will be a different station) and the mapping will be off. So as example, you could load a zip for New Orleans. It will load those channels. The station that uses RF43 would map to 6-2. So to watch AntennaTV you'd tune to 6-2

The only channel that matches 46 properly is in Sioux Falls, SD. They use RF47 but map to 46 also.
The issue is the odds of mapping both AntennaTV (2-2) and MeTV (46-2) are none. So its one or the other (sadly). But in your case since you already have a AM21 hooked to the HR34 you get both so it all depends on which station you watch more

I know it sounds confusing but its the work around to make it work ;)

If you need more info just PM me....I'll look at the charts and try to find something that will match up a little better but its late and it looks like a blur to me :)

Last edited:
correct...but again you need to use a secondary zip code that has the same RF channel (NOT the channel it maps to) to work properly. The AM21 is "dumb" as it tunes the RF channel. What it maps to is irrelevant so using the case above for the guy in KC if he loads the Minneapolis zip he will be able to see AnatennaTV...except it will show on 2-2 instead of 4-2. Again the mapping is irrelevant

In your example (St Louis) there are 3 stations that the subchannels are not mapped in. The number in ( ) is the actual channel it broadcasts on
2-2 (43)AntennaTV
30-3 (31) Country Network
46-2 (47) MeTV

The country network is unique as its on a -3 (because of the Sinclair/CoolTV thing...I'm the same way in Minneapolis)

Looking at the lists there is no other AntennaTV station that uses 43 as the RF channel. In simpler terms, you can load a zip that will give you access to it, but the guide info will be wrong (as it will be a different station) and the mapping will be off. So as example, you could load a zip for New Orleans. It will load those channels. The station that uses RF43 would map to 6-2. So to watch AntennaTV you'd tune to 6-2

The only channel that matches 46 properly is in Sioux Falls, SD. They use RF47 but map to 46 also.
The issue is the odds of mapping both AntennaTV (2-2) and MeTV (46-2) are none. So its one or the other (sadly). But in your case since you already have a AM21 hooked to the HR34 you get both so it all depends on which station you watch more

I know it sounds confusing but its the work around to make it work ;)

So I could use another zip code besides one I am using now in this area to get stations? Thanks ice for help just want to make sure before doing it :)

correct
you would load your zip code as "main" to get STL locals
the secondary would be the "mythical" one to add the station that is missing that you want to view.

correct
the secondary would be the "mythical" one to add the station that is missing that you want to view.

Ok thank you very much appreciate it :)

Forgot to mention once you load the channels in you can always use the "edit channel" option and just remove all the secondary locals except for the one you need so in your favorite list (or even on all) it will only show the locals you selected. Here we have some low powered religious stations that I dont need to see in any guide so they are removed.

Since I'm switching from a Dish 722 to a "D" Genie it sounds like as long as my locals PQ is the same with OTA vs sat and all of my locals are available, there is no reason to get the AM21. Correct? Thanks.

Since I'm switching from a Dish 722 to a "D" Genie it sounds like as long as my locals PQ is the same with OTA vs sat and all of my locals are available, there is no reason to get the AM21. Correct? Thanks.

The main reasons folks get a AM21 are
-subchannels they have in their market.
-they are a "mover" and use the Am21 for their locals
-they are in one market but are close enough to another market. The AM21 gives flexibility

correct

well I was wrong. There are 2 areas that use both 43 & 47 in their market (and have a -2 channel)
One is Chicago...47 remaps to 11 and 43 remaps to 38. So if you use 60601 (as example) for the secondary market it will load all the Chicago stations (which will be a lot of removals in the edit screen)
Actually...use Louisville, KY (fewer stations to deal with)
43 remaps to 23
47 remaps to 3

So to watch MeTV (which for you in St Louis is 46-2) you'd actually tune to 3-2

Many thanks Iceberg. Finally had some spare time - That zip for the secondary market worked perfectly for the hr24!! Huge thanks man!

well I was wrong. There are 2 areas that use both 43 & 47 in their market (and have a -2 channel)
One is Chicago...47 remaps to 11 and 43 remaps to 38. So if you use 60601 (as example) for the secondary market it will load all the Chicago stations (which will be a lot of removals in the edit screen)
Actually...use Louisville, KY (fewer stations to deal with)
43 remaps to 23
47 remaps to 3

So to watch MeTV (which for you in St Louis is 46-2) you'd actually tune to 3-2

Hi, just started reading this thread(s), I too am in the St. Louis market. So this will bring in only the MeTV channel or all of the 3 'missing' subchannels in the St. Louis market?

A couple folks have asked me about different markets to load a secondary market to be able to tune to channels missing

Here is the OTA file. You can sort it by RF channel or market (market is the 1st column) to find a market that works. Remember you need to figure out the RF channel for the station you want to load as a secondary market. As long as the RF channel matches it doesnt matter if it's not the right channel you are "use to " tuning to

Attachments

• OTA file.xls
    915.9 KB · Views: 712
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)