OTA: H3 bug or something else?

rdale

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 17, 2012
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Since my local ABC affiliate has been off the air since last year, I broke down and got a USB adapter. Everything sets up fine - but 2 days later the guide for that particular channel says nothing but "WLAJ is no longer provided" or something like that. Sort of ruins the ability to set timers ;) Is it a H3 bug, a OTA bug, or something else? Just looking for guidance before heading to CSR roulette.

If dish doesn't offer the channel, then there is no guide data provided. Subchannel guide data is hit and miss too. Dish does about as bad a job with OTA channel guide data as can be done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWS44 and MikeD-C05
If dish doesn't offer the channel, then there is no guide data provided. Subchannel guide data is hit and miss too. Dish does about as bad a job with OTA channel guide data as can be done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

If they don't carry guide data for channels they don't provide - how could they be filling up the sub channel guides?

Thanks Jerry - but I'm not sure how to turn that feature on in the H3. Can you walk me through it?
The TiVo would be a separate box entirely, independent of the H3. You'd have to buy the TiVo and then pay a monthly fee for guide data, unless you paid for lifetime subscription service.

Keep in mind, no STB on the market today will work to receive ATSC 3, once that starts in a few years.

The TiVo would be a separate box entirely, independent of the H3. You'd have to buy the TiVo and then pay a monthly fee for guide data, unless you paid for lifetime subscription service.

Keep in mind, no STB on the market today will work to receive ATSC 3, once that starts in a few years.

Well that makes no sense at all - but thanks for the suggestion.

You can do a manual record. With the 52 remote press DVR. On the DVR screen press the up arrow and move over to timers. Then press the options button. Move to create a timer. Then select your OTA ABC channel. Then you can do a frequency of (once, weekly, weekdays, daily) recording . Set the time to record and you are through.

Don't blame Dish alone. Putnam and Dish are in a pricing dispute since Dec 15th. With the OTA module you can get the channel and follow my instructions for manual records until they come to a settlement. Call the channel and tell them they are trying to rip off Dish and their customers. Dish has done deals with thousands of local stations. if they cannot come to a deal with WLAJ , then WLAJ must be demanding a rate totally out of bounds to all the other channels Dish has reached a deal with.

Guide data is owned by the TV station. When there is a Dispute, they often make them remove the guide data so the OTA adapter is hard to use. You can still use it but its harder to record as you have to do manual and you dont know what is on.
All part of the game.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Yes I am . When a station is in dispute, they refuse to let Dish broadcast their channel and the guide information for the channel. The channel owns the broadcast rights and info rights not Dish. so get upset with your local channel for being unreasonable compared to all other ABC affiliates Dish does carry.

If it makes the OP feel any better, even if you had the guide data, OTA recording on the H3 is fubarred anyways. :rolleyes:

Live OTA works OK, but most, if not all OTA recordings are either corrupt or have major intermittent audio skips and video pixeling. While they have the adapter, and provide some guide data, OTA is something of a red-headed stepchild to Dish. Certainly hasn't been a priority on the H3. :(

Reactions: osu1991
If it makes the OP feel any better, even if you had the guide data, OTA recording on the H3 is fubarred anyways. :rolleyes:

Yep - found that when I checked two recordings from two different channels just now. So I chatted with Dish and asked for a return shipping label, and they said to just keep it and they'd waive all costs. Best of both worlds I suppose ;)

There are dozens of free over the air quality channels out there that are not uplink to the SAT.
Sure do hope Dish fixes the OTA software issue.
The free Over the Air is free, kind of part of our rights to get it for free as the FCC manages the channels in that they must be free over the air.
Dish, help make that Over the Air Turner great again.

Live OTA works OK, but most, if not all OTA recordings are either corrupt or have major intermittent audio skips and video pixeling
The skipping and pixelation aren't limited to recordings for me. The same thing happens on Live TV, but it doesn't happen all the time and seems to occur less frequently on the Hopper 3 box than it does on the Joey's.

Update
I am sure dish knows this but just in case . . . and if others thinking to upgrade are wondering.
-
The last software update did not fix the OTA issue for me. Same coax and antenna as on my Hopper 2 WS and it never had these bad pixelation issues. Its bad.

Reactions: D. Manley and DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts