OTA HD/DTV questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

whicky1978

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Clarksville, Tennessee
When I run my microwave, my digital TV goes out. Is there a way to prevent this?

What is DTV link for?

Is cable wire the best thing to get OTA HD? I didn't think that was possible, but I guess I was wrong, because my TV picks up both 720p and 1080i, and 420p OTA.

Would I be better off with an antenna that uses HDMI?

whicky1978 said:
When I run my microwave, my digital TV goes out. Is there a way to prevent this?

Call an electrician because you have a wiring, ground or circuit issue.

What is DTV link for?

Not sure what you mean here?

Is cable wire the best thing to get OTA HD? I didn't think that was possible, but I guess I was wrong, because my TV picks up both 720p and 1080i, and 420p OTA.

Do you mean from the antenna to the tuner? The resolutions will not be determined by the connection method from the antenna to the tuner. I tend to think that using 75Ohm RG6 from the antenna to the tuner is better than using 300Ohm wire.

Would I be better off with an antenna that uses HDMI?

The antenna and HDMI have nothing to do with each other.

"Call an electrician because you have a wiring, ground or circuit issue."

It's only my microwave that creates the interference, and only when it runs. I live in an appartment that is over 30 years old, and uses copper wiring.

I'm trying to figure out what DTV Link is, it has to do with recording TV. I guess some devices use this kind of technology.

Do you mean from the antenna to the tuner? The resolutions will not be determined by the connection method from the antenna to the tuner. I tend to think that using 75Ohm RG6 from the antenna to the tuner is better than using 300Ohm wire

My tuner is inside my TV. Would a HDMI/DVI cable provide a better picture than a regular cable wire?

whicky1978 said:
It's only my microwave that creates the interference, and only when it runs. I live in an appartment that is over 30 years old, and uses copper wiring.

Call the super/maint; still betting its a circuit issue.

I'm trying to figure out what DTV Link is, it has to do with recording TV. I guess some devices use this kind of technology.

DTVLink as in the IEEE1394 / firewire connection? I am of the understanding your devices will need to be IEEE1394 compatable.

My tuner is inside my TV. Would a HDMI/DVI cable provide a better picture than a regular cable wire?

Ahh you mean from the tuner to the TV;

YES, "F-type" connection coax - RG6 (cable wire you mention) would be the worst of all the possible connection that are available.

Worst to Best (the last 3 are subject to some variables)
coax
composite
s-video
component
DVI
HDMI

You know, even with a coaxial cable connection, I still get a great picture. I used to have DishNetwork with HD (I cancelled all of it), and my coaxial seems to be almost as good as the component that I used.

I'm using a UHF amplified antenna with a coaxial cable. I only paid $40 for it. It's small rectanglar thing. I get a few digital channels with it. But since I live in an appartment, I'm not going to go out and buy a 20 foot mast, and mount an expensive one, and I might not get any more channels than I do now.

My manager tells me that either cable or satellite is going to be included in the rent pretty soon, they are taking bids. So for that reason, I'm not going to invest too much in OTA tuner/antenna.

What's the difference between a tuner an antenna?

whicky1978 said:
What's the difference between a tuner an antenna?

Tuner (aka receiver or set-top box) is the actual device that adjusts the frequency to receive the desired program channel collected by the antenna.

Antenna (in this case) is usually metallic device (a rod or wire) for collecting or receiving waves / signals.

What about signal strength?

My high end TV (which I bought on an impulse) also measures dig. TV strength. Does anybody know anything about this? What is the minimum/maximum?

I get NBC on VHF (10.3) with a steady signal of 18-22. My strongest signal is 80 for CBS (56). Both stations are same distance from me and ony 15 degrees apart but I rarely get NBC. I'm guessing there are obstacles or CBS has a stronger transmitter.

I am currently using an amp that was made for the antenna/tuner. Would it be a good idea to buy a stronger amplier? Or could that damage my equipment? I currently have an 18db amplifier. I use decent surge protector too.

Last edited:
I see. My recieve is inside my TV. I made sure that I bought a TV that could get digital signals. As much as I paid for it, it should get signals from other planets ;) :D

My 1st bet is your antenna not the amp. You need more/better signal collection, not amplification of something that may not be there. I used 37040 as a Clarksville zip code; to determine you distance and needs. You are 36m from every tower except ABC @ 44m so those are some rough distances for perfect indoor apartment reception. AND they are not all at the same heading either. You really need something of quality outdoors aimed at the correct heading.

charper1 said:
My 1st bet is your antenna not the amp. You need more/better signal collection, not amplification of something that may not be there. I used 37040 as a Clarksville zip code; to determine you distance and needs. You are 36m from every tower except ABC @ 44m so those are some rough distances for perfect indoor apartment reception. AND they are not all at the same heading either. You really need something of quality outdoors aimed at the correct heading.
Yes, I get nothing indoors. I have an out door UHF antenna with an amplifier that sits about 6 ft from the ground (best signal). There are alot trees and hills plus buildings that get in the way. I get Fox, CBS, PAX, UPN, WB as digital signals, but no all at the same time. I often have to adjust the antenna. I get KET1 from KY, but snowy (analog). Sometimes, I get analog signals from KY like NBC.

If NBC was on a higher channel than 10 for their digital about (Channel 4, Nashville), then would I get a stronger signal?

It's true, with a tall antenna, and the right kind of antenna, with an amp., I should get all kinds of channels. I'm just not in the mood to go all out. It would not be worth it. I plan to get cable TV sometime, or wait a couple of months form my landlord to go commercial with the TV stuff.

Why do I get better reception at night? Also, why do I get better reception my I put my hand on the antenna? Is that due to signal reflection?

Almost all of my channels are south, and I am facing north, so must be getting signal reflections right?

The inspector came by my apartment and did some routine testing. He says that my outlets are grounded, and that those buildings are all well grounded. I think it was actually the microwaves. I was also using an extention cord, but I don't think that mattered. My OTA signals are mostly reflected signals. They are not in the direct line of sight. Combined with the microwave radiation, it does not help.

I've walked by a microwave on a cordless phone before, and I get static, and it tingled in my hand.

whicky1978 said:
The inspector came by my apartment and did some routine testing. He says that my outlets are grounded, and that those buildings are all well grounded. I think it was actually the microwaves. I was also using an extention cord, but I don't think that mattered. My OTA signals are mostly reflected signals. They are not in the direct line of sight. Combined with the microwave radiation, it does not help.

I've walked by a microwave on a cordless phone before, and I get static, and it tingled in my hand.

Try plugging your microwave into a different circiut, if you know which outlets go where, in a different curcuit might fix it and it might not.

The tingling in the hand from walking by the microwave is not a good thing, not sure what to tell you about your hand, cut it off if it gets to be a problem......
You will not do much better in an apartment, since you cannot put an antenna up in the air, so your kinda limited, if you turn the antenna you probably get different stations, seeing the towers are not all in the same direction.

If your landlord goes with D*, maybe then they will have the locals as part of the package, possibly..

You know I was kidding about the hand ....right ....:D

Jimbo

Yeah, I think it's generally not good. But maybe programs like CC cleaner leaves 32 entries. Are there some ways to tweak my PC so that I get better performance out of Media Center? What about using Catylist Control Center settings?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)