OTA HD signals decode from any Dish HD Receier is this true?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BuddTX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
Hi.

Helping my dad buy a HDTV for his house, and, like everyone, we are trying to decide on "HD READY" or "HD with built in HD OTA Tuner". (Oh, BTY, I decided on the Panasonic PT-47X54, in case anyone is interested, check it out, a real good value!).

We decided to go with The PT-47X54, "HD READY" (No OTA HD Tuner installed).

My Dad currently has a old 4000 Dish receiver, and I has been a dish customer for several years. I have been trying to update him to a DVR. He has seen my 508 and the ability to record etc.

So here is my question:

Instead of spending 200 bucks purchasing an external OTA HD Receiver, I was going to replace dad's 4000 receiver with a Dish HD DVR.

I just want to confirm that the dish HD DVR Receivers CAN accept and de-scramble OTA HD signals

This way, we can AVOID another Remote Controll, and be more effective in spending, as he can get a better receiver, get DVR, Hd sat, AND get free OTA HD also.

We do not absolutely need to purchase it today, we can wait for the 942, or hopefully get the 2wire receiver.

Thanks in advance for answering my question!

i would recommend waiting to see if dish will lease a 942. i am not telling you not to buy one, but both the 921 and 942 are already obsolete. they will not work with future hd channels from dish. if you can hold off on a pvr, i know dish leases the 811 which will do the off air channels you want. you might even be able to purchase it for less than 200. i have also heard rumors dish is selling the 921 for 250 to some customers. good luck and make sure you do research on the the 921 before you buy it.

korsjs said:
i would recommend waiting to see if dish will lease a 942. i am not telling you not to buy one, but both the 921 and 942 are already obsolete. they will not work with future hd channels from dish. if you can hold off on a pvr, i know dish leases the 811 which will do the off air channels you want. you might even be able to purchase it for less than 200. i have also heard rumors dish is selling the 921 for 250 to some customers. good luck and make sure you do research on the the 921 before you buy it.

Thanks Brian!

korsjs,
Thanks for the additional info. VERY HELPFUL to me!

It looks like the 2Wire DVR is the one to wait on. As I have SBC DSL, I am hoping that that 2Wire is in my future. (I have the 2Wire DLS HomePortal 1000HG, and it works flawlessly!)

As for my Dad, I have read about the 921 and the 942, although I did not know about the 250$ deal to some customers. I would think my Dad would qualify as he is a long time customer, and he has an ancient 4000 box.

I would definately recommend to my dad to lease. I made that mistake! I bought a 508 on e-bay, so that I could save 5 bucks a month, not realising that it would take 50 months to break even!

The 811 would be a good option also, I did not know about that receiver, thanks.

Limitations of the 921 and the yet to be released, yet obsolite 942 aside, DVR is so great, that it would be worth getting even if it is a stop gap measure.

Thanks

BuddTX

Just a heads up. I think it's safe to say that the 942 will be released before the 2wirebox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts