OTA help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jhamps10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
Flora, IL
Hi guys, this really isn't an HD question, but it is OTA. I am working on a friends house in my home town zip code 62839. He does not have sat, and he lives out in the country so cable is a no-go. I know we are a LONG, LONG way from towers for any locals for an indoor antenna, and I got a feeling he will need to get a better antenna to pick up anything.

espically since the antenna on the outside was put up in 65'. so any advice?

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
UPDATE: With his RCA indoor amped antenna, he has been picking up stations from the Bloomington, IN PAX area? and Evansville, IN stations.

The first day after we had it up, we were picking up a station from south carolina in analog. Of course this was only for a little bit, but most evenings he's been picking up the evansville stations. Could this be from the summer weather?

I recommended that he get an outdoor antenna, but right after that we started picking up stations. so who knows, but if you need a good indoor antenna for HDTV, go to walmart and get the RCA Ant1250.

also I just saw one from walmart that is an outdoor antenna

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5000835

Claims to be 100 mile range for VHF. Is this a good route to go in this situation mounted on the roof?

I am always hesitant to buy any product or from any company that has the gall to list an antenna as an "HD" antenna; as there is NO SUCH thing. I would look for higher quality antennas at lower costs and from more reputable places like: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ANC3020

Over 550 miles away? That is not going to happen with this setup. I would guess you were picking up a local affiliates taped re-broadcast of a program that originated from SCETV or some other affiliate in SC.

Correct and the higher it can be mounted outdoors is best.

I do hate to disagree on the picking up of SC, but it was LIVE news at noon from Charleston, SC. It was hard to believe for me at first too man trust me. but it was.

That antenna from solid signal looks really good, and I have heard a lot of good things about them, but this person really isn't into the buying of stuff on-line. If he looks in a store, what should he be looking for, like ranges and all that stuff? I actually think that he will stay with the indoor antenna for now, but I keep trying to convince him that an outdoor antenna is the right way to go. espically w/ it mounted on the roof at the peak. It would be a little lower than where his outdoor antenna is now, but that antenna really wasn't good quality, and I think w/ a good quality antenna and rotor set-up I could mount it on his roof and he should be ok.

Quality materials, coating & construction. Gain values comparable to like Winegard or Channel Master. Man it must have been the most perfect reception scenario to work with such a retail level setup.

jhamps10 said:
I do hate to disagree on the picking up of SC, but it was LIVE news at noon from Charleston, SC. It was hard to believe for me at first too man trust me. but it was.

That antenna from solid signal looks really good, and I have heard a lot of good things about them, but this person really isn't into the buying of stuff on-line. If he looks in a store, what should he be looking for, like ranges and all that stuff? I actually think that he will stay with the indoor antenna for now, but I keep trying to convince him that an outdoor antenna is the right way to go. espically w/ it mounted on the roof at the peak. It would be a little lower than where his outdoor antenna is now, but that antenna really wasn't good quality, and I think w/ a good quality antenna and rotor set-up I could mount it on his roof and he should be ok.
What you experienced is tunneling. Reception of usually VHF channels over extremely long distances. It is entirely due to atmospheric conditions, the antenna had very little to do with it.

I recommend getting seperate UHF and VHF antennas and joining them with the CM7777 pre-amplifier. For UHF the CM4228 is about the best especially for deep fringe. For VHF I recommend the Dehi (Jerrold) VIP-307SR. Using a combo UHF/VHF antenna in extreme fringe areas is a compromise. Ideally you should have a tuned yagi for each channel but that is impractical so settle for VHF and seperate UHF antennas. You also need a good rotator to turn the antenna toward your target stations.

Look at the surrounding land and trees and make sure you get a tower that will put the antenna, hopefully above the trees as trees will absorb the signals. A very good, very low noise pre-amp is a must for consistant reception, and with those distances, the most gain from the antenna you can find. The antenna is going to be huge, so make sure to use a heavy duty brand name rotor to move it. Upgrade the coax to the best you can afford to reduce the signal loss from the pre-amp to the TV. RG-6 is good, but RG-11 is better. However, RG-11 is expensive and not as easy to find, or work with as RG-6.
With a good tower, a deep fringe antenna, heavy duty rotor and a low noise pre-amp, you should get good reception. Check with the local TV tower shops, as they deal with reception in your area and can tell you what to expect with what setup. Remember, when you are 60+ miles from the signals, you will not receive them 100% of the time. Weather and atmosphere will play a great factor in your reception.

hey larry, good idea on the local tv shops. but around here a local tv shop is called WAL-MART! there is only 1 tv repair shop in town and he sells E* but they right now want locals that actually cover our area roo bad the st.louis stations don't hardly cover us.

oh and jim, i know for a fact that he WILL not go for two antennas on the house/tower. In fact he wants to just competely take down his tower, hince the indoor antenna, I think that he will have to do something he doesn't like to do too often.... Spend money!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts