OTA Hook up on 622 - Installer has me confused

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

the4lams

Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
My set up is only the 622 with TV1 and TV2 hooked up. I would like to hook an OTA antenna up to TV1 and I thought I could run it through the same coax that is coming from the satellite using a diplexer. Can this be done? I just had it installed yesterday (totally new to E*) and the installer said it would create pixelization if it were ran through the same coax. When I had D* a few years ago I used the same coax using diplexers. Any help is appreciated!!

You can use diplexors but heres a suggestion just hook up the oTA to the back of the box directly and then use the box itself to do your OTA then you can get it on both tv's

My problem is I do not have another designated coax to run to the 622 for the OTA. So, I wanted to hook it up to the 622 using the same coax (using diplexers) that is coming from the two dish 500 (one for 110,119 and one for 61.5). Can this be done with that setup?

So, would I put one diplexer at the point of entry of the OTA, then another right before the combiner/splitter (that comes with the 622 for TV1 and TV2 hook up). From that point I would hook the satellite side of the diplexer up to the splitter/combiner (not really sure what that is) and cable/antenna side into the OTA on the 622, correct?

That device at the two tuner inputs of the 622 is called a "separator" and it's completely different from a combiner/splitter. Make sure the diplexers you're using are power passing through the sat. connections as you'll need to be able to power the LNBs from the 622. (Not all diplexors are the same!)

The installer was implying that there will be some signal loss through the diplexers (it's inevitable, on both the sat. amd OTA signals) that could result in some deterioriation of the picture quality. It's not likely to be a problem for the sat. signals, but could be an issue with the OTA signals. In general it's best to run separate cables for OTA and sat., but if you can't do that then take your chances with the diplexers. There are ways to boost the OTA signal in the combined scheme, but that requires a preamp that will work from the same power that the LNB uses and also a diplexer at the antenna end that passes power to both ports. If your OTA signal is less than optimal you might want to consider that option.

Good luck with it, but you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts