OTA In NY

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tony17

Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
I live in the NY metro area and was thinking of getting the hdtivo and an ota antenna. Then I thought to myself, if I am going to get the major networks in HD from directv (sub to locals), then what extra am I going to get from OTA? Anyone in the NY area get anything additonal that they think I should go through the hassle of hooking up OTA for?

Well, for now, ABC is OTA only (either from WABC or WTNH in CT)

PBS (which I find to be quite good for showing off HD)

It's also quite good to have a backup source.

Just my 2c - depending on where you are in the NY metro area, this could be a very inexpensive solution.

Their is NO comparison from OTA to satellite. OTA is far superior in PQ. Also, WB & UPN will not be offered via satellite anytime soon.

All the major network seems to be OTA in NYC now with the combiner. The only missing is PBS.

CBS
ABC
FOX
UPN (WWOR)
WB (WPIX)
NBC

The Quality of these is quite excellent. The only one I have seen major pixelation is NBC when broadcasting the Olympics and Fox which has not gotten their HD quite together yet.

tony17 said:
I live in the NY metro area and was thinking of getting the hdtivo and an ota antenna. Then I thought to myself, if I am going to get the major networks in HD from directv (sub to locals), then what extra am I going to get from OTA? Anyone in the NY area get anything additonal that they think I should go through the hassle of hooking up OTA for?

The LiL HD channels won't be ready until mid-05 at the earliest.

Once the combiner is up and running at full power for all the channels you will get CBS/NBC/UPN/WB/ABC. WNET will be ready for OTA and on the combiner sometime in '05.

It never hurts to have a backup source of local channels for when the dish goes down in really bad weather.

chrisb said:
The LiL HD channels won't be ready until mid-05 at the earliest.

Maybe for others they won't :)

NYC locals are available (minus ABC) on HD on D* RIGHT NOW

Tried it (up the Hudson Valley) and got nothing! Returned that TERC antenna pronto ater testing. No need now because I get all the majors via DirecTV in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts