OTA is breaking up

ifnotuthenwho

Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Kansas City
I'm having some trouble with the signal from my OTA antenna and I'll admit I'm a bit confused.

First, I'll let you know that I live in zip code 66205 and according to TV Fool I am between 2.8 and 9.0 miles from the transmitters I'm interested in watching. The azimuth for these station is between 36 and 131 degrees. Because of that, I didn't think I would have any problems at all with OTA. So I went to RS and bought a UHF only antenna (model U-75R) and mounted it in my attic. I aimed the antenna due east since the transmitters were about equally spaced north and south of due east. Once again, given my proximity to the transmitters, I didn't think it would be an issue (and still don't although I'm not as rock solid in confidence now). I am splitting the signal in two about 6ft from the antenna. One leg runs to my Sony LCD TV and the other runs to an AM21 D* OTA receiver.

My AM21 receive seems to have more trouble than the Sony, but they both have issues. When I first got my AM21, I seem to remember looking at the signal strength, but I can't figure out how to do that anymore. Maybe I'm imagining doing that initially. Also, there are times during thunderstorms that I can't receive OTA signals at all. (And Yes, I'm certain I'm watching OTA and not Satellite at that time.)

Do you think I could could be having a problem with signal reflections that are interfering with the "real" signal, keeping the receiver from locking in on the digital stream? Sort of a "Digital Ghost"? Or do you think I could simply be having signal strengh problems? I do have a lot of trees in my neighborhood. Could they be draining off my signal strength?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

The problem that I see is that you are trying to receive signals from 36 degrees and 131 degrees. The U-75R is a directional UHF antenna. It will pick up the signals from the direction it is pointed at and probably 15 degrees from each side. If you have it pointed at 90, you can probably get the signals from 75 to 105 degrees pretty well and all the others poorly. Another problem you will have is that the ABC station (KMBC) will be on VHF 9 after the February transition. You need an omni-directional antenna that also gets the upper VHF band.

You have a REAL problem you are too close to the broadcasters. With strong broadcast signals you have a real good chance of multi path signals which can destroy your digital reception. Your choice of TV antennas is wrong for your circumstances if you were 40 miles away the U75R would probably work.It will probably be a lot of trial and error on your partr to get good reception. Not knowing about your house construction or topography I would start off with an indoor set of rabbit ears. With strong broadcasters between 3 & 9miles you may get all the signal you need. For outside antenna I would try a Winegard HD1080 it is new and designed for Ch 7-69 with bow tie UHF reception that will cut down on directivity but still capable of receiving ABC after 2/17/09 when they go back to CH9. Good Luck you will probably need it

Thanks for the help guys. I'll see about getting an omnidirectional antenna with a little less sensitivity to see if it helps.

FYI: My house construction is a wood frame house with gabled ends (the east side is a gable). It has vinyl siding and a composite roof. It sits pretty high on a hill also.

One more question: Do you think the fact that my problem is worse in bad weather is due to more reflections that result in more multi path signals?

Last edited:
With multi path an omnidirectional antenna is the worst possible solution. It receives all the reflected signals. Try the rabbit ears first you should be able to get a set for under $10 and return them if they don't work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)