OTA Issue

fullgrown

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
what would be the best antenna for me to use to catch dtv over the air for my samsung txp 2670 whx hdtv.

my zip code is 70560 my locals are in lafayette,louisiana and some in baton rouge need help with this

Antennaweb says there are 4 digital channels that you can receive, but they are spread from 53 degrees to 309 degrees. The weakest is channel 13 (2.1) at 59 degrees and 45 miles distance. The strongest is channel 59 at 309 degrees and 35 miles distance.

With that spread and those distances, it will be tough to get all 4 channels w/ one antenna w/o a rotor. If you want to try, consider a Winegard PR-4400, 4-Bay antenna w/ a Channel Master (CM) 7775 pre-amp, pointed somewhere between about 4 and 15 degrees (you'll have to experiment since the strongest signal is on one tangent and the weakest is on the other, but you want both). Mounted outside of course, as an attic mount would likely kill any chance of getting enough signal from both azimuths of interest.

If a rotor is DOA, also consider a pair of antennas. A Winegard PR-4400 or CM 3021 pointed at 59 degrees and a Winegard PR-9018 pointed at 309 degrees. Separate the antennas by at least 3 feet. Combine their outputs w/ a Rat Shack hybrid splitter/combiner and run that output into a CM 7775 pre-amp. Given the azimuth spread and a lack of any nearby strong signals, combining antenna outputs in this case has a high probability of success.

Good luck!