OTA Locals and New Install

Silly Rabbit

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
I was installed today. I was previously using a DST-3000 OTA reciever and my own antenna/amp. I was getting all my locals. I am still using the same antenna set up, but now I am only getting one local channel with Voom. Zap2it with my zipcode does not show all the available channels. But using a zipcode from a city 15 mins away shows them all. I know I can get the signals, why can't I watch them? Installer said it was an FCC issue and was pretty much too bad so sad.

On another note, the install was pretty painless. About two week late because of no hardware, but they did call the day before an cancel. The installer gave me a 30 minute call ahead to avoid wasted time. The installer wanted to charge an extra $20 for getting into the crawl space, so I just let him re-use the existing cable line. With all the rain lately it was about 2" deep in there, so he made me a cable to replace the one he re-used and we called it even. He left me with the box, all the cables and the remote. He didn't leave the provided antenna. Actually never took it out of the van. The IRD had the latest software right out of the box. Program guide took about 15 minutes to update. Everything else seems to be par for the course. Just disappointed about the locals, but reading ahead, I was half expecting it. Maybe the next update with have the OTA scanning? Without the local, the wife is not happy and come football season, I will have them with, Voom or no Voom.

It is not an FCC issue. They simply are not mapped on your receiver. The next update should allow you to scan and watch any channel you are capable of receiving over the air.

I assume you still have your DST-3000 OTA receiver and if you have more than one hook up for your Tv , like another spot on the back of your Tv that is another HD connection you could get a splitter and the line that runs into your house from the antenna and split it from the one going to the voom box and then take it to the one to your other box and then you would just have to switch your tv from the one connection to the other , I know it can be a pain but it is something you can do until they get the OTAS in the next D/L. I know this works because I have done it , I have D tv and the HD package and the HTL receiver has OTA and I like to have them both hooked up to see if I see any difference it the PQ for OTA on both Box's.