OTA - Now its HD, Now its Not

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I've noticed on the OTA channels in HD sometimes they are, sometimes they are not....

We were watching Enterprise tonight on UPN50 in Detroit. We started watching it and it ws in HD full screen on our GW 60" LCD. The it popped into wide screen and a 'good quality' SD but not HD....

We were watching Law & Order the other night, same thing, it would POP between full screen HD and centered SD.

While I was watching this it went from full screen to partial, and now just popped back to full screen.

Anyone else?

Eric,

This would be an issue with your local broadcast affiliate. Find their web site, and call (and email) to complain.

Ken,

That makes sense but all the OTA HD channels do it. I should have been more clear in my post.

The show itself goes from HD to SD.

Enterprise is/was broadcast in SD Widescreen, and of course HD. So the picture goes from being full screen to centered wide screen.

It happened 4-5 times during the show tonight. Happens on ABC and NBC...forget what we were watching on ABC but it did it the other night.

In the time we had our Toshiba OTA D* box and the Samsung OTA this never happened. The other diff is the Voom box is DVI the others were component.

Try component. I can't imagine the 8VSB cartridge would cause this...so perhaps it's something else?

I live in Redford, about 5-7 miles from Detroit 2, 4, 7, 50, 56, and 62 and have never seen this.

I'm in Green Oak, 1 block inside Livingston County off of 10 mile. About 15 minutes due west of Novi Mall and about 30-32 miles west from the broadcast station.

The stations are almost all broadcast out of Southfield and not Detroit I believe. I know 2.4.7 are, but 56/62 might be out of Detroit itself. I'm close to 50 miles from Detroit.

The only thing similar that I have seen is where the programming went from a SD commercial and back to the program. The program was stuck in 4:3 for about 5 seconds and then suddenly popped into 16:9.