OTA Picture resolution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
Is there a way to see what the resolution is on OTA channels? I am feeding my OTA signal through a Dish 722K

THanks!

ABC and FOX should be 720p (720X1280) and CBS, NBC and PBS should be 1080i (1080X1920).

The Dish VIP line of receivers have a static output resolution that is settable in the menus anywhere from 480i to 1080i, Menu, 6, 7 on my 211; Menu, 6, 8 on my 722k.

Dish receivers do not pass native resolution through to the display.

So if i have my 722 set to 1080i, I am going to get the best signal possible. Also, on ABC and Fox, does that mean the 722 will upconvert to 1080i?

One more question, I was watching "The Amazing Race" on CBS. I was watching the OTA signal, and there were black bars on the sides of the screen, like it was a 4:3 picture. I thought the HD broadcast was supposed to be 16:9?

So if i have my 722 set to 1080i, I am going to get the best signal possible. Also, on ABC and Fox, does that mean the 722 will upconvert to 1080i??

Yes, that is what the 722 will do.

One more question, I was watching "The Amazing Race" on CBS. I was watching the OTA signal, and there were black bars on the sides of the screen, like it was a 4:3 picture. I thought the HD broadcast was supposed to be 16:9?

Not all shows are in HD even though thy are on an HD channel. The Amazing Race among other shows are not using HD cameras and therefore you see the show with a 4:3 picture.

ABC and FOX should be 720p (720X1280) and CBS, NBC and PBS should be 1080i (1080X1920).
Check with your local PBS station to see what they are using. Many have switched to 720p for bandwidth issues since some run 3 & 4 subchannels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)