OTA Problem on Standard Def TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

agfours

Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
I have searched through archives, but cannot seem to find a solution to my problem - I hope some knowledgable soul can help!

I have VOOM installed and running to a HD Television in the living room, and to a Standard Definition television in the Bedroom. I am receiving all satillite and OTA channels on the HD set with very good reception on both OTA and Satillite channels.

However, On the SD set I am receiving the satillite channels but the OTA channels are not coming in. When tuned to any of the OTA channels on the SD set, I get the message re: signal strength, etc.

The SD set has a shorter cable run, so I have a tendency to rule that out as a loss of signal strength. Signal strength on the satillite fed channels to the SD set is strong enough...

Is there something obvious I am missing, or are there anything I can do to remedy this prior to calling the installation company back out?

Thanks!!

I know this won't help, but I had the same problem. It happened to me both ways. It would work on OTA but not satellite and after fussing with cables and several resets it would work with satellite but not OTA. I suspected a bad STB or bad multiplexer. I hardly used the TV upstairs so I didn't mess with it for a while. I finally decided to try swapping STBs and multiplexers to see if I could find the problem before calling VOOM. I turned the TV and the STB on and for whatever reason both OTA and satellite worked fine. I can't explain it. Haven't had a problem in a week or two since that happened.

agfours,

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like a wiring problem. Tell us more about your setup. Does it include diplexors?

agfours said:
However, On the SD set I am receiving the satillite channels but the OTA channels are not coming in. When tuned to any of the OTA channels on the SD set, I get the message re: signal strength, etc.

Guys isn't it obvious?...it's an SD TV SET...you will never get OTA HD channels on that set! These channels are DIGITAL!!!
Am I right?

BTW...welcome to Voom!!!

Thanks Ilya! This is a great forum - very quick responses....and thanks to the others who have already responded as well!

Anyhow, I've got the standard VOOM dish, two cable drops: one each directly to each room, and then a splitter at the box to the OTA and Satillite signal inputs. Sorry, I am not at home, so I can't confirm how the two drops are wired from the dish and OTA antenna, but I can tell you that the antenna I have looks like an airplane wing and it is mounted externally. (Stealth?)

truqui said:
Guys isn't it obvious?...it's an SD TV SET...you will never get OTA HD channels on that set! These channels are DIGITAL!!!
Am I right?
Not true. VOOM STB will show all channels on the SD TV, even those that are HD. They will all be converted to 480i.

agfours...look up at my post right before your last...
sorry to say...but you won't see OTA Digital channels on a non digital TV.

Ilya said:
Not true. VOOM STB will show all channels on the SD TV, even those that are HD. They will all be converted to 480i.

Really? Even the OTA? Wow Ilya I had no clue...sorry then for the previous post agfour...and thanks for the enlightment Ilya!

truqui said:
Ilya...how does converted HD look on an SD set?
Switch your STB to 480i mode and you will get some idea... :)
Actually it looks pretty good. Better than analog OTA!

agfours said:
Thanks Ilya! This is a great forum - very quick responses....and thanks to the others who have already responded as well!

Anyhow, I've got the standard VOOM dish, two cable drops: one each directly to each room, and then a splitter at the box to the OTA and Satillite signal inputs. Sorry, I am not at home, so I can't confirm how the two drops are wired from the dish and OTA antenna, but I can tell you that the antenna I have looks like an airplane wing and it is mounted externally. (Stealth?)
I think either the wiring (at the dish) is messed up, or you are having some problems with the OTA tuner. This should be easy to tell though: switch the STBs and see which one will work!

I have a SD Tv upstairs in my bedroom. I set the box to 480i, which is the bottom light. The HD channels look better even on a SD set. However, I mostly watch TV on my Sammy DLP downstairs.

Thanks again Ilya - I'll try your suggested process of elimination.

Also, as a note to the other comments - on the standard 4:3 TV's, (like my SD set) the picture width is compressed, so it is a little distorted, but you can select a letterbox style for accurate aspect ratio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts