OTA Quality

slocoma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
I hooked up my antenna to my Dish Network box last night to try and pull in the digital channels OTA. My locals only provide SD, via OTA and by sat.

I got 60% signal quality with OTA. I couldn't tell any difference in PQ from OTA to sat. They both are sub par imo. Should OTA be better than the sat signal? Will try to dial in a better signal strenght get me better PQ with OTA?

I hooked up my antenna to my Dish Network box last night to try and pull in the digital channels OTA. My locals only provide SD, via OTA and by sat.

I got 60% signal quality with OTA. I couldn't tell any difference in PQ from OTA to sat. They both are sub par imo. Should OTA be better than the sat signal? Will try to dial in a better signal strenght get me better PQ with OTA?
You should be seeing a difference in PQ with your OTA locals. What equipment are you using?

The antenna that was on my house a few years ago when I bought it. I have no idea if it's UHF or VHF, or anything else for that matter. How can I tell?

The antenna that was on my house a few years ago when I bought it. I have no idea if it's UHF or VHF, or anything else for that matter. How can I tell?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. What Dish Network box are you using and what make of TV? This site can help you determine what type of antenna you have.

There wont be any difference in video quality because the same mpeg video decoder is being used for both.

The video quality is dependent on how good the mpeg video processor is. An A/74 compliant ATSC tuner will give you a better signal.

The OPs question was so vague, I couldn't hope to give an accurate answer.

However, as to quality, I think the following categories could apply:

- OTA digital Hi Def direct into your HD TV set
- OTA digital Standard Def direct into your HD TV set

- OTA digital Hi Def via a tuner on your Dish receiver
- OTA digital Standard Def on your Dish receiver
(apparently, these are not the best tuners)

- OTA digital Standard Def on a CECB (new digital converter box)

- OTA analog in any form, and seriously dependent on tuner and antenna!

- Satellite-received High Def Local stations, which are generally a cut below direct OTA
- Satellite-received Standard Def Local stations, which are generally a cut below direct OTA

The quality of the TV set would be a contributing factor in all cases.

Remember converted DTV is just analog without snow and ghosts. You still have the raster scan lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)