OTA question, eastern Massachusetts

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
I cannot seem to consistently receive WLVI channel 56.1 or WBPX channel 68.1. All other Boston channels come in 90-100% of the time. Any words of wisdom?

I live in Ayer, Ma. Antenna is 20 ft up. I have a basic understanding of the difference between digital broadcasts and analogue. I guess my problem is I don't understand all the numbers on the tv fool chart. WFXT is at the same distance and azimuth, comes in just fine as does WMFP.

Thanks in advance

Ross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

looking at the technical aspects of it usually the issue is power from the station and antenna height. All the Boston stations are broadcasting on UHF which you can go up to 1 million watts

WVLI is 690,000 watts 1135 feet
WBPX is 300,000 watts 957 feet

conversely WFXT is at 780,000 watts 1190 feet
and WFMP is at 1 million watts 948 feet

WBPX and WFMP broadcast from same tower...so the fact one is broadcasting at less than a 1/3 of the other probably has something to do with it
WVLI, WBPX and WFXT all broadcast from same tower and are roughly the same power so that doesn't make sense

2edge means it bounces off 2 things on its path to your location (well I just used the city on tvfool...not an actual address). Have you tried moving the antenna up or down 6 inches? Sometimes that can make the difference

looking at the technical aspects of it usually the issue is power from the station and antenna height. All the Boston stations are broadcasting on UHF which you can go up to 1 million watts

WVLI is 690,000 watts 1135 feet
WBPX is 300,000 watts 957 feet

conversely WFXT is at 780,000 watts 1190 feet
and WFMP is at 1 million watts 948 feet

WBPX and WFMP broadcast from same tower...so the fact one is broadcasting at less than a 1/3 of the other probably has something to do with it
WVLI, WBPX and WFXT all broadcast from same tower and are roughly the same power so that doesn't make sense

2edge means it bounces off 2 things on its path to your location (well I just used the city on tvfool...not an actual address). Have you tried moving the antenna up or down 6 inches? Sometimes that can make the difference

Thanks for the advice. What I ended up doing was repointing the antenna. I used a compass first time around (a good one), but the reality is it was way off. Not sure why...I am very familiar with using a compass from my Army days, long before there were hand held GPS units that were effective, and definitely long before they were readily available to the general public! Used the meter on the TIVO this time...

Any way all is well

Ross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tvfool shows antenna should be aimed towards 145-148 degrees unless you want WMUR...thats dead north (15 degrees)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts