OTA question for a clueless person (me!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks Sam. The antenna coax comes behind drywall in homerun room. A tiny room under basement stairs. The big screen tv is far away. Unless I buy extension cable, I cannot plug it into tv's antenna port. Another reason is this: I want to be able to watch locals on 4 tvs. With ota adapter on Hopper 3, I can achieve that.
You will still need a cable from the homerun to the dual tuner adapter at the H3. You cannot diplex with the H3 system.

You will still need a cable from the homerun to the dual tuner adapter at the H3. You cannot diplex with the H3 system.
I am little confused. The coax cable from antenna (that is not connected to anything currently) is dangling behind Hopper 3. All I need to do is attach that cable to dual tuner airtv adapter, then connect the adapter to one of the 3 usb hopper 3 ports. Then, rescan local channels with Hopper 3. All the cables from Hopper 3 to Joeys r hidden behind drywalls.
I realize I need to turn on Hopper to watch ota channels. If I decide to cancel my Dish service in the future, I can use a 4-way splitter (attached to antenna cable).

I am little confused. The coax cable from antenna (that is not connected to anything currently) is dangling behind Hopper 3. All I need to do is attach that cable to dual tuner airtv adapter, then connect the adapter to one of the 3 usb hopper 3 ports.
That "should" work. ;)

Voyager was just covering all the bases, which was to warn you against diplexing the signal with the Hopper signal. With older receivers, you could do that. But nowadays the MoCA signal uses some of the same frequencies as OTA broadcast TV, so that option is no longer available.

I am little confused. The coax cable from antenna (that is not connected to anything currently) is dangling behind Hopper 3. All I need to do is attach that cable to dual tuner airtv adapter, then connect the adapter to one of the 3 usb hopper 3 ports. Then, rescan local channels with Hopper 3. All the cables from Hopper 3 to Joeys r hidden behind drywalls.
I realize I need to turn on Hopper to watch ota channels. If I decide to cancel my Dish service in the future, I can use a 4-way splitter (attached to antenna cable).
Have you tried connecting the antenna cable to your TV and scanning to see what your antenna can pick up?

Voyager6; I haven't. I have few short coax cables that I no longer use. (They r in a box, just in case). Not long enough to run from Hopper 3 to tv, which is on the other side of the wall. And no barrel connector. I thought of ordering them from Amazon, and changed my mind. That particular Terk attic antenna worked many years ago. ABC. NBC and CBC were fine. Fox and Public tv were fuzzy. I am thinking about changing the attic antenna, assuming newer, better. Something not expensive. Ordered airtv adapter yesterday. They already shipped it. I will continue informing u guys here.

Here may be a possibility to test your antenna using the OTA adapter, when you get it, and a Windows laptop. I used to do some OTA stuff on a few laptops using Hauppauge adapters, but I am over it. From back in 2017. Of course, when you get the adapter, you'll be plugging it into the Hopper! I guess you could take this setup up to the attic to verify your antenna, and compare it to how it does in the basement, to verify your cabling.

----------------

The relevant post in that old thread was #111. This platform won't let me copy and paste that for some reason ("oops we ran into some problems").
Highlighting it and selecting the Quote button, then returning to this thread and selecting the Insert Quotes button worked for me.

Reactions: Altitudinous
Ok, saturday afternoon and this is the latest.

Received airtv adapter from SC. That was super fast. Connected the antenna cable to the adapter, then plugged the adapter to bottom usb port of Hopper 3. Went to settings/ota channels, and scanned the channels. Dish found absolutely nothing!! It showed "Success! 0 available". (Seriously).
made sure the connections were tight. Rescanned, the same result. Tried other 2 usb ports. Nothing. Went up to the attic. Checked the coax. To be safe, untightened it,and tightened back. Rescanned. Nope.

So, I am assuming the current antenna that I have cannot handle HD signals. Hopefully, the new one I ordered should come soon. After trying that, I will inform you.

Your antenna is inadequate, especially in the attic. You have to have good strong signals since adapters don't perform as well as a straight connection to a TV usually. You need more than just enough for a picture, you want a healthy fade margin to assure all stations come in, all the time. All of your possible stations are UHF, there are better antennas that could fit in the attic may need a preamp also. Outdoors is far better, don't worry about weather they are designed to work out there. The assumption that the antenna will not receive HD is not correct there is no such thing as digital or HD antennas as others mentioned. What did you order? Here is a report for your town in your sig. RabbitEars.Info

Last edited:
Your antenna is inadequate, especially in the attic. You have to have good strong signals since adapters don't perform as well as a straight connection to a TV usually. You need more than just enough for a picture, you want a healthy fade margin to assure all stations come in, all the time. All of your possible stations are UHF, there are better antennas that could fit in the attic may need a preamp also. Outdoors is far better, don't worry about weather they are designed to work out there. The assumption that the antenna will not receive HD is not correct there is no such thing as digital or HD antennas as others mentioned. What did you order? Here is a report for your town in your sig. RabbitEars.Info
If all of the possible stations are UHF, and if the antenna in question happens to be VHF-only, then the assumption may be correct.

He’s got a Terk TV55 antenna. It supposedly gets the whole range of 2 through 69. But, and this is the issue he has going right now. It is a powered antenna and I would bet that he doesn’t have the power injector plugged in or doesn’t have it at all making it a doorstop. If he doesn’t have the injector he needs a new antenna.

Reactions: sam_gordon
Thanks 907tech;
The current attic antenna (terk 55) was installed by a company that installs security systems/satellite and phone cables 18 years ago when the house was under construction. The ant. coax ran to the basement, then split with a 4-way splitter and 4 coax cables were installed into different rooms behind dry walls along satellite cables. So, we had two cables coming from walls behind tvs. We simply changed the input on tv when we watched local networks. When Dish offered locals, we stopped using the antenna. Not all reception was perfect. But, we accepted it.
I want to avoid installing antenna on the roof for several reasons. The roof is very high, hate to drill holes for leakage problems, maintenance, etc. I am also acrophobic, afraid of heights!
So, I have decided to replace the current antenna with a newer one under the roof. A friend here suggested a brand.

Leadzm TA-851B 360°Rotation UV Dual Frequency 45-860MHz 22-38dB Open Antenna Silver​

I ordered it on ebay. (less than $20 with tax and free S&H). Here's the details:

Features:
1. Made of high quality plastic & aluminum material, durable and practical in daily use
2. With the light weight and compact design, it is easy for you to operate
3. It supports 360°rotation which will provide agood signal
4. With low power consumption and environment friendly design, it is worth to buy it
5. Rotation speed up to 2-4 rounds/min
6. Remote controlled distance is less than or equal to 5m

Specifications:
1. Frequency: 45-860 MHz
2. Gain: 22-38dB
3. Rotation: 360°
4. Channel: VHF1-12 UHF21-69
5. Impedance: 75 Ω
6. Power: 3W
7. Power Supply: AC110V
8. Rotation Speed: 2-4 rounds/min
9. Remote ControlledDistance: ≤5m
10. Standing Wave Radio: ≤1.5
11. Model: TA-851B
12. Color: Silver
13. Weight: 38.80oz / 1100g
14. Material: Plastic & Aluminum
15. Brand: Leadzm

I don't know much about all the details, to be honest. Just hoping that it will work. I am not expecting dozens of free channels. If I get couple, I will be happy.

Attachments

• antenna pic.jpeg
    antenna pic.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)