OTA question for a clueless person (me!)

Here’s a cheap one. Channel Master would be better. Search that amazing place for Distribution Amp.

Attachments

• E5C7C7A7-BE03-46DE-B60A-1B5B5BBBEDEF.png
    E5C7C7A7-BE03-46DE-B60A-1B5B5BBBEDEF.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: joegr and TheKrell
Just because it looks like your OTA adapter is DOA, it doesn't mean you're SOL.

What I would do is, as I suggested earlier and by PM:
1. Download the Hauppauge driver for the dual tuner adapter.
2. Install it on a Windows laptop.
3. Without touching anything else, take the OTA adapter and plug it into your laptop, with it connected to the same end of the same cable that caused stations to appear on your TV.
4. Install the SichboPVR tuner software.
5. Scan for stations.

If you get zero there, then maybe the situation with the OTA adapter is not just a SNAFU, but is indeed FUBAR. If you do get stations there, then the Hopper I suppose is suspect.

Reactions: TheKrell

3. Without touching anything else, take the OTA adapter and plug it into your laptop, with it connected to the same end of the same cable that caused stations to appear on your TV.
5. Scan for stations.

If you get zero there, then maybe the situation with the OTA adapter is not just a SNAFU, but is indeed FUBAR. If you do get stations there, then the Hopper I suppose is suspect.
Will do that. curious now.

Reactions: TheKrell
Also, from this site it looks like your CBS channel is the lowest transmitter power of your local channels. Make sure that the Terk is level and perpendicular to the line to that CBS transmitter, by using your trusty compass and rabbitears, etc. Also, is the Terk on the end of the house that is closest to the direction of the transmitters? The Terk manual discusses that.
By moving it slightly you might find the right compromise that brings in the CBS channel without losing anything.

Yea, that's not right. According to the FCC,
CBS (WKYT) is at 900 kw https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=wkyt&fileno=&state=&city=&chan=0.0&cha2=69&serv=&type=&facid=&asrn=&list=0&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page/Tab&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9
NBC (WLEX) is 379kW https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=wlex&fileno=&state=&city=&chan=0.0&cha2=69&serv=&type=&facid=&asrn=&list=0&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page/Tab&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9
ABC (WTVQ) is 487 kw https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=wtvq&fileno=&state=&city=&chan=0.0&cha2=69&serv=&type=&facid=&asrn=&list=0&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page/Tab&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9
FOX (WDKY) is 1000 kw https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=wdky&fileno=&state=&city=&chan=0.0&cha2=69&serv=&type=&facid=&asrn=&list=0&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page/Tab&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

Here's the FCC search site: TV Query Broadcast Station Search

Here’s a cheap one. Channel Master would be better. Search that amazing place for Distribution Amp.
Hello navychop; I checked channelmaster's web site. Perhaps, a product like this could help.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10)-crop.png
    Screenshot (10)-crop.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: joegr and navychop

5. Scan for stations.

Wait, the Hauppauge driver... for a Lark adapter? I thought the reason that the Lark adapter works better than the Hauppauge model is because it uses a different driver. I also thought that was the reason why software bugs in the Hopper can cause issues with one model of adapter, but not the other one.

Wait, the Hauppauge driver... for a Lark adapter? I thought the reason that the Lark adapter works better than the Hauppauge model is because it uses a different driver. I also thought that was the reason why software bugs in the Hopper can cause issues with one model of adapter, but not the other one.
I was going from posts that said somebody had gotten the OTA dual tuner adapter to work on a PC. Could very well not work with his adapter. It doesn't cost him anything to try it, he seems to be willing to try it, and if it doesn't work he's no worse off. If it doesn't work, anyone can give me a down-thumb.

Reactions: pattykay
I was going from posts that said somebody had gotten the OTA dual tuner adapter to work on a PC. Could very well not work with his adapter. It doesn't cost him anything to try it, he seems to be willing to try it, and if it doesn't work he's no worse off. If it doesn't work, anyone can give me a down-thumb.
I remember those posts, which were about the Hauppauge adapter, before the Lark model ever came out. I just thought it would be funny if Hauppauge is still writing the drivers for the new adapter, after Dish made the decision to no longer use Hauppauge's hardware.

I haven't felt like trying it myself with my second AirTV adapter sitting idly in the RV...but I could. And I do have personal experience with a few OTA adapters on PCs with SichboPVR, SageTV, WinTV, etc.

The best distribution amplifier I have found.

I have a preamp some 200’ away from this distribution amp.

From the distribution amp I split the signal twice with two 8 port splitters.

No degradation of signal.

I my setup - the preamp is and the distribution amp are essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sktrus
Yeah, that's why I said "from this site". More importantly, sktrus said that the CBS station was his problematic one, hence my recommendation to point it toward the CBS one, after discerning the compass direction of the CBS one.
I feel we have a duty to present valid information. For a "big 4" to only be 30kw is suspicious, as are other transmitters in the 2-3 megawatt range. So I wanted to follow up and present accurate information. I don't know where your site gets it's information, but based on the link you posted, I would be hesitant to trust it.

Reactions: Altitudinous
the Hauppauge driver.
I downloaded both drivers. ( Ha......gue and SichboPVR tuner software. Assuming they r the right ones for windows 10.) When I tried to install Hauppauge driver, it asked me to insert the adapter to laptop's usb port. I hesitated. I was not sure if it meant the Hauppauge adapter (that I don't have). All I have is airtv adapter. Can I substitute that insert it to the laptop?

I downloaded both drivers. ( Ha......gue and SichboPVR tuner software. Assuming they r the right ones for windows 10.) When I tried to install Hauppauge driver, it asked me to insert the adapter to laptop's usb port. I hesitated. I was not sure if it meant the Hauppauge adapter (that I don't have). All I have is airtv adapter. Can I substitute that insert it to the laptop?
I haven't tried that. I do have one of the old Hauppauge dual-tuner OTA adapters if you want to try that, though. I know for sure that my adapter still works for my OTA stations. Maybe we can work out a trade.

I have a preamp some 200’ away from this distribution amp.

From the distribution amp I split the signal twice with two 8 port splitters.
Wow! Your antenna is that far away! Was I wrong thinking that u use either preamp or distribution amplifier, not both at the same time? Is this an apartment complex that required so many coax connections?
thanks for your input.

he seems to be willing to try it,
Yeah, my goal is finding out what is causing Hopper 3 not to get any ota signal. Now we know that it is not the antenna or the antenna coax. It has to be either airtv adapter or hopper 3. The dish installer brought brand new equipment when he came several yrs ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)