OTA question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

umass03

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
I have DISH w a 622 set up and would like to get HD in the 2nd room. Can I use a OTA for this? How would it be setup? New to OTA

OTA will only get you HD locals in your 2nd room, if your local stations are transmitting in HD and your 2nd room have a HD TV.

The other option would be to run a component or HDMI cable from your receiver to your 2nd room. (don't forget the audio if you run component.)
but this would display the same program as TV1

All OTA does is receive your local channels transmitted (O)ver (T)he (A)ir from an antenna.

So by having an OTA Antenna, this will allow your 622 to receive your Local Channels (in HD if available) over the airwaves.

The 622 does have 2 tv outputs

TV1 outputs on HDMI, component, S-Video, and Coax

TV2 outputs on Coax only

Your HDMI and Component outputs are the only HD signal outputs.

The Coax is Standard Definition

The 2nd tv is HD and locals is what I am after. The tv is hooked via coax for the sat signal so how would the OTA fit in?

You can receive sat. signals via coax from the 622 at TV2 but they will be SD only. (The only HD option for TV2 was discussed above.) If you're sub'd to locals through Dish then you will also receive them at the TV2 location (SD only via coax). Getting HD locals through Dish is possible in those markets where Dish carries them. You can use an OTA antenna to receive local channels, analog (until Feb. '09), digital, and HD. What is available varies by market. Check this link to see what is available to you.

AntennaWeb

This will tell you what channels are broadcasting, analog or digital, channel assignment, and bearing and distance from your location. From that you can determine what kind of OTA antenna you will need...

Here is the way I have my system setup to get maximum flexibility with only one 622:
-My 622 is in the living room, and is connected to a Component Video distribution box ($50 from Radio Shack). One component cable goes from the distribution box to my living room TV. (The LR TV doesn't have HDMI - if it did, I wouldn't need the distribution box.)
-My OTA antenna has a splitter. One feed goes to the 622, one goes to the living room TV, and one goes to the rest of the house.
-The house output from the OTA antenna is combined with a joiner (from Stark Electronics - online) to the coax output of the 622. This goes out to the other TV's in my house, including the HD TV in the bedroom.
-A second component video line from the distribution box also goes to the HD TV in the bedroom. (75ft component video/audio cable from Monoprice.com).

This gives me the following options for the HDTV in the bedroom:
1) Watch any over-the-air channel of my choice using my OTA antenna and the TV's built in digital tuner.
2) Watch the same HDTV program from Dish network that is being viewed on the living room TV via the Component video input.
3) Watch a different program from Dish network using the TV 2 output over the coax cable (on my TV, it's channel 60), if I have the 622 set for dual mode. (Of course this is SD only.)
4) Since the Living Room TV has its own digital tuner and OTA antenna feed, I could also watch an OTA channel in the living room, while allowing the bedroom TV to have full control of the 622 (in single mode.)

Of course I understand all this. I'm not claiming anyone else in my household does! :D

The 2nd tv is HD and locals is what I am after. The tv is hooked via coax for the sat signal so how would the OTA fit in?

So attach a splitter to the output of your 622, and plug in the Attenna to that , and the lead to the TV2

this will provide the tv2 the signal from the antenna and the 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)