OTA question

Mr_Flintstone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
KY
Is there any way to unstretch an SD OTA signal that comes in pre-stretched on a Dish 722 with an OTA module? I know some people prefer the picture this way, but it really bothers me.

Is there any way to unstretch an SD OTA signal that comes in pre-stretched on a Dish 722 with an OTA module? I know some people prefer the picture this way, but it really bothers me.
I know on the hopper, I have to go to an SD SATELLITE channel to change the aspect ratio of that channel and then it changes all the OTA SD channels to the same aspect ratio. For example turn to channel 106 TvLand and then change that ratio to what you want or normal and then turn to your ota sd channel and it should be the same.

Use the format button to change the aspect ratio?

I tried that. The only options are grey bar, normal, zoom, stretch, and partial zoom. Normal shows the picture stretched. Grey bar just cuts off the sides. Zoom and partial zoom just zooms in on the already stretched picture.

I guess the picture is pre-stretched, and it's normal aspect shows a 4x3 picture strecched to 16x9.

If it is an OTA broadcast the signal source is probably responsible for the format. Try contacting the station engineer.

Reactions: D. Manley
Yes, I've checked the receiver and the TV. It seems that the only way I've found to get the correct format is to set the output of the Dish receiver to 480P. Then I can manipulate the picture a little better. That essentially makes it an SD receiver though. When set at 720 or higher, it stretches all the time.

It is probably the sub-channel stretching the picture. You can test this by detaching the antenna from you receiver and attaching it directly to the TV. Scan for channels on the TV and look at that channel. If it is still stretched, it's the channel....

It is probably the sub-channel stretching the picture. You can test this by detaching the antenna from you receiver and attaching it directly to the TV. Scan for channels on the TV and look at that channel. If it is still stretched, it's the channel....

Yep, its the same on the TV. I guess its something I'll just have to live with.

Yes. It's a sub-channel. The main channel works fine.
If its the station I think it is (your posts in the OTA area help) the master feed of ThisTV is 480i 4x3. I know some affiliates put it in 16x9 (Minneapolis is one that does that) but the actual master feed from ThisTV is 4x3

Well, I contacted the station engineer's dept., and it appears that they broadcast 57.1 in 1080i and 57.2 in 720P to accommodate local news and sports broadcasts. They also said that they broadcast This TV stretched to 16x9 because it was their preferred method, and showed little interest in rebroadcasting This in its 4x3 format.

On a brighter note, I did find a workaround. In addition to my HDMI cable, I plugged a composite video cable into my 722 tuner, and ran it to an open slot on my TV. When I use this connection, I can watch in 4x3 format. I can watch regular sat programming through the HDMI cable, and switch to composite for watching 57.2.​

When it fills the screen, it makes it HD, right?
Isn't that true. I go to friends who are on cable and they have amazing HD TVs. Yet they are watching their channels in SD stretched and saying that it is HD. When I show them that there is a real HD channel starting at the 1000 numbers(Suddenlink), they simply say that they don't remember the #s for HD. Why cable suppliers don't allow customers to defer to HD like Dish does is amazing! Even to list the channels SD and HD right next to each other in their guide like Dish does would help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)