OTA question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Katz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
I have a HD tv, Dtv, and OTA antenna for 1 local channel. (I qualify for DNS for other locals) My OTA is Winegard PR 8800. I combined the OTA and Dtv lines using 2 diplexors. My problem is that sometimes my ota picture is really good, other times it is awful. When it is awful, if I disconnect the dtv cable, the ota reception gets good again. My question is why does this happen, and what can I do to fix my problem?

I think you're right on the edge as far as your OTA signal goes and the roughly 5db loss the diplexer introduces pushes you over the cliff. You need more signal from your OTA antenna. It's not a wet/dry situation is it as unprotected connections can have significantly more loss if moisture is allowed in?

I am right on the edge, but the local station denied my waiver request so Directv did a signal strength test, but the test said I should be able to receive the signal. Moisture is not an issue as it is an attic antenna. I called Winegard before purchasing the antenna, because I was putting it in the attic they recommended this model taking into account a 50% loss in signal because it is inside.

Running another cable from your OTA and getting rid of the diplexers would make a huge difference. Ditto for putting the antenna outside. Are you sure the OTA is pointed for max signal?

OTA is pointed for max signal. It must be the diplexors because the signal comes in alot better when they are removed. Thanks for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts