OTA Recording skip/scramble but signal strength is fine

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shantyman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Fairfield, OH
I have a VIP 722 and when playing back all HD OTA recordings they end up scrambled or skip around, making them unwatchable. Watching them live is fine, no issues. All OTAs have signal strength of at least 85%. Satellite recordings exhibit no issues.

Is there any way to avoid this or make the existing recording watchable?:confused:

Your internal disk is dying. Recommend backing up anything of value to an EHD immediately.

I doubt it's his disk as sat recordings have no problem. Sounds more like an intermittent OTA signal issue.

There is never a signal issues when watching live TV. These symptoms only appear on HD OTA recordings, and it affects all of them. Some are worse than others. As you noted, no satellite recordings (HD or SD) are ever affected by this.

I have tried resetting the box, adjusting the resolution, etc. but nothing seems to work.

Would these recordings be viewable on a new VIP722?
Yes. Since the old one is probably dying, you may be able to talk Dish out of activating an EHD for your account. This normally costs $40. :( An EHD would allow you to move the recordings off the old disk, and then restore them to the new 722.

In order to best make your case, I'd watch an OTA show live while recording it. When you are done, verify that it scrambles the content you just watched If so, it should be enough of a case to have Dish swap your box out.

There is never a signal issues when watching live TV. These symptoms only appear on HD OTA recordings, and it affects all of them. Some are worse than others. As you noted, no satellite recordings (HD or SD) are ever affected by this.

I have tried resetting the box, adjusting the resolution, etc. but nothing seems to work.

I've seen the same thing on occasion on the EHD connected to my 211, but not on as consistent a basis as you describe. It does seem to me as though recording a show will make the OTA tuner itself be more flaky, although I don't see how that is possible.

I have a similar issue with the external EHD on my 211. However my problem is only when in fast foreword or reverse.

The picture will momentarily scramble and I seem to see the image of what would currently be on live tv. When playing at normal spped I don't have any problems.

I don't think the drive itself is at fault. This has been going on for a while and I have had no other issues. I figure if the drive was going bad it would have sh*t the bed already, or at least the problem would be getting progressively worse. But it's staying the same.

The exact same thing happened to a 622 here just before the hard drive died, just like TheKrell said.

There has been a lot of odd behavior from this box in general, random resets, inability to rewind live TV (it always skips back to live), etc. And as I noted, NONE of my OTA HD recording are watchable.

A quick test on the hard drive I did when mine went bad on a 2 year old 622, is-- I watch a channel live for a few minutes, then hit pause and in a few seconds watched in delay and the picture was all broken up. Back to live and the picture was fine again. Repeated a couple times for consistency and new it had to do with playback of recent recordings. I also had recordings on the drive that once played fine and now wouldn't. I switched to my EHD and all recordings played fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts