OTA Searching for signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cypher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
As I have said here recently, I had HD installed last Friday and am still getting used to it. HOwever, the locals I get on the OTA sometimes go in and out. For example, I'll be watching a show and then it'll go blank, say "searching for signal" then pop back on, then go blank, say "searching for signal", then pop back on, etc. Sometimes this lasts 30 seconds, sometimes it lasts for the whole show. I am in the Detroit area and I can't even receive (at all) the signal for the local UPN station (50-1), not that I watch UPN. The installer mentioned that he could put a booster on, but, at the time, it seemed to work fine. Should I call DirecTV and request the booster? Is it possible that the booster could make the signal WORSE, or will it only improve the signal? I would how much of this is geographical (buildings in the way, too far from the signal, etc.)

I am having the same issue with one of my standard receivers after I had the Triple Line Dish installed. I have to keep unplugging the unit to reset. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I also get the X745 not available message periodically. Anyone have suggestions?

What kind of antenna are you using? Is it split; if so how? How far from the towers are you?

If you don't know how far you are, you can go to www.antennaweb.org, put in your address and it will give you all of the towers around you.

-Casey

I am 8.8 miles from the digital channel I am talking about...and I cannot receive UPN-DT (50-1), but I CAN get UPN(50) analog just fine (also 8.8 miles away). The question was...do you think I should get a signal booster (or will it affect the other signals (that are fine))?

From 8.8 Miles you should be able to use a coat hanger barring any obstructions. I think most of us that have these types of issues are like me and 45.2 to the CLOSEST OTA station.

If you amplify from too close you will destroy a good signal (too much gain), if you are too far and amplify ... well if you amplify garbage you get amplified garbage. Who made your antenna, do you know? Also, what type of STB are you using for your OTA?

As a note, digital signals (UPN 50-1) require a direct line of sight. Analog signals (UPN 50) bounce and do not require direct LOS.

The antenna is a WineGard MetroStar 2000 Model MS2VRD

Any more info, slacker, based on the model of the antenna?

Get your self a Channel Master 4228 you should have no problems with it just make sure you can take it back just in case.I tried 4 other antennas before the Channel Master,it way out performs the others

A Channel Master 4221 4 bay would be a better choice, being so close to transmitters. This is assuming that all digital channels are either broadcast on UHF frequencies, or VHF frequencies above channel 6. Also, bay antennas are very directional.

Alan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts