OTA Signal Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GLBorchert

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
I had no problem receiving all of my local OTA digital channels with the Voom Motorola DSR550. Connecting the same OTA antenna cable to either a D* H10 or an E* 811 (I have both services at the moment) results in much lower signal strength. Signal strengths of 90 to 100% on the Voom box translate into signal strengths of 30 to 60% on either the H10 or the 811. I read somewhere on this board that the DSR550 actually powered the antenna Voom provided in their install. That post claimed that an alternate amplifier would be needed in order to use the same antenna successfully on another system. Thought this doesn't make sense to me, I'm curious to know if this is the case. Anybody else run into problems connecting their OTA antenna to an E* or D* box?

I can't post the url to the immediately following post.
The site I took this from shows I have made 5 posts and still won't let me include a URL.
Here is the path to a discussion of this topic:

SatelliteGuys.US > Satellite Specific Forums > The VOOM Forums > VOOM Help Desk
Getting power to OTA antenna

Specifically go to post #22

I have included it below so all will be in context.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe that the Sensar ll is the antenna used in mobile applications.
I have the Sensar lll also known as the GS 2200.
See here for source of my Sensar lll info:
(I can't post url's because I havent made 5 posts.)

Go to winegard site
Select products
Again select products
Select VHF/UHF/FM
Select Off-Air-Antennas
Select Sensar lll for home

I also found on Winegard site that the power injector to be used is the PS 9370.
It works with all their powered antennas.
I found it for sale here: (Do a Google search for: ) Willy's Electronic supply
Enter PS-9370 in search box.

$21.62
$27.60 including ground shipping.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an update to that post.
No longer "it shoukd work" it is now "it does work"

I left everything in place, removed the cable from Voom receiver, connected to the PS 9370 and connected that to my H10 HDTV Receiver.
Worked perfectlly.

Next I bypassed the Voom antenna and went direct to the Winegard antenna cable and
connected to PS 9370 and H10.
(I have the Sensar about 25 feet up on a pole as opposed to being mounted on an arm at the dish.)
Slightly better signal strength because I was able to remove about 80 feet of cable run by connecting direct.

Is OTA HD incorporated into the channel guide on the HD dish receivers, or is it a switch to another source. Can the DVR record the OTA stuff?

GLBorchert, there has been so much discussion lately that I can't find the source for you, but it was discussed that the VOOM STB was much better at receiving and decoding local channels than both the E* or D* receivers. This came from those that had D* or E* prior to VOOM and used their existing OTA set-up for the VOOM STB. So even after preforming the modifications Oldman2 posted you may still find the VOOM STB receives the stations better.

FredOh said:
Is OTA HD incorporated into the channel guide on the HD dish receivers, or is it a switch to another source. Can the DVR record the OTA stuff?

I referred to a DirectV receiver.
Everything is incorporated into the receiver.
It is not the DVR receiver so no comment.

In the post following my previous one:
" GLBorchert, there has been so much discussion lately that I can't find the source for you, but it was discussed that the VOOM STB was much better at receiving and decoding local channels than both the E* or D* receivers. This came from those that had D* or E* prior to VOOM and used their existing OTA set-up for the VOOM STB. So even after preforming the modifications Oldman2 posted you may still find the VOOM STB receives the stations better."

I am finding that the receiver does as well as the VOOM receiver did and Found channels that Voom receiver dod not.

I also have a Hitachi with a Built-in tuner and it does better than it did before.
Probably shorter cable length and no diplexer in system now.

GLBorchert said:
I had no problem receiving all of my local OTA digital channels with the Voom Motorola DSR550. Connecting the same OTA antenna cable to either a D* H10 or an E* 811 (I have both services at the moment) results in much lower signal strength. Signal strengths of 90 to 100% on the Voom box translate into signal strengths of 30 to 60% on either the H10 or the 811. I read somewhere on this board that the DSR550 actually powered the antenna Voom provided in their install. That post claimed that an alternate amplifier would be needed in order to use the same antenna successfully on another system. Thought this doesn't make sense to me, I'm curious to know if this is the case. Anybody else run into problems connecting their OTA antenna to an E* or D* box?

Your vom box powered your amplified OTA antenna. E* and D* boxes do not power the antennas, so your signal ould be lower. All I did was leave one Voom box plugged in and powered on. The antenna runs to the Voom switch and then I just plugged a line into my 811--voila! 90% signal strength, although the voom box consistently received 97%.

Oldman:

Thank you very much for your guidance regarding the Winegard amplifier. It is exactly the informtion I was seeking. Kudos!

Also my thanks to Firebird81, and to all who gave me ideas on how to tackle this issue. It is great to be part of a board where people reall help each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)