OTA Signal Strong but Not Displaying on TV

acer007 said:
There was some discussion last week and over the weekend regarding my problem with high OTS signal (90+) with no picture. Seems others are also seeing the problem. My follow-up question is whether there is a fix? Do I call VOOM to get a service call? Is it a hardware or a software problem? Any ideas out there? Thanks.

What have you tried so far to resolve the problem?

Threads merged. (It will be easier to follow this discussion in a single thread).

So, acer007, have you tried switching to 1080i-fixed mode?
Assuming yes, are these channels in your initial OTA map, or are they scanned-in?

Yes, I am in 1080i fixed mode and yes, the channels are part of original mapping. The screen bar shows the channel and the scheduled programming information but the program is not displayed. Instead, I get the error message that a signal is not received from the channel. This is with a 90+ signal quality.

acer007, this sounds a lot like my PBS channel problem I've been discussing with Ilya. Signal strength of 99 and no picture. I'm getting a 3rd HDTV this week, and it has its own internal tuner, so I'm going to finally confirm whether or not there actually is anything being transmitted on that channel, but I'm pretty sure there is.

acer007 said:
The screen bar shows the channel and the scheduled programming information but the program is not displayed.
That proves that you have the correct resolution!
Also, since the channel is in your original OTA map, PSIP data is irrelevant. What is the channel number and what is the RF number of that channel? Are you certain this station is currently broadcasting in digital? (Sometimes the signal can be strong, but there is no actual programming being sent.)

I have this problem, 99% signal, no channel to watch. It used to work fine when I had less signal.

Strangely, I upgraded my antenna and LOST a channel, but increased the strength! I am not upset though because I gained the OTA channel I wanted. Can I have too much signal? Do you think it is a multipath issue? I have not yet played around with the antenna direction but I may do that to see if a multipath issue can be resolved.

ANY TIPS APPRECIATED!
THANKS!
--Dan

My OTA signal strength for my local channels has only been in the low 80's, still I'm surprised that I'm not receiving any channels. Additionally all of my locals are showing in my programming guide so I don't think there is a mapping issue.

When I was using my old Mits / Hughes DTV receiver, OTA signal strength in the low 80's was sufficient to receive my local stations. This may be a stupid questions, but is it possible the two receivers measure signal strength "differently"?

I'm going to dig out my Hughes receiver and see if it possible to receive any of my local channels.

Here in Seattle PBS Channel's 9-1, 9-3, and 9-5 all come in at 99 signal strength. Only 9-1 works, 9-3 and 9-5 have no picture. All three show up in the PG.

I just spoke with the station engineer, he says that all three channels are streaming PSIP data and he theorizes that the Voom box is only set to receive the first channel "9-1" and something in the software is preventing the Voom box from showing the alternate channels 9-3 and 9-5. The station engineer asked me to contact Voom and see what they thought and to get back to him.

Do you guys have any thoughts and who do I talk to at Voom? Does anyone have a direct email to speak to the “the people” at Voom on software issues?

-Terry

seabird said:
Do you guys have any thoughts and who do I talk to at Voom? Does anyone have a direct email to speak to the “the people” at Voom on software issues?
You can send a private email with detailed problem description and your zip code to Sean Mota (Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us) and he will pass it on.

What I did to solve my problem is I bought the Samsung SIRTS360, now channel 10-3 PBS-HD comes in clear... with the Voom box it is nothing but a black picture... I doubt if it is the hardware... it is probably the firmware on how it decodes the PSIP data.

I will give Voom 30 days to fix the firmware or I will cancel. Sorry way too many bugs.

Jerry

PBSHD Black screen

I also have the same problem here in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I get channel
8-1 PBS SD just fine but black screen, no sound on 8-7. Scanned just fine
with strong signal. PBS engineer came over to the house and showed me
the picture on his equipment, my antenna... Has to be the VOOM box. Had
D*T before and received 8-7 just fine... If someone has had this problem
and has resolved it, please pass it on. My PBS engineer is trying to get ahold
of one of the engineers at Voom but has not had any luck.
New subject: By the way, is there anyone else here in Klamath Falls
watching Voom?
Thanks,
Terry

It sounds like pbs is a common thread here. What is pbs doing different than all the rest of the channels? My PBS starts on 13-3. They said they are going to drop it to 13-1 to try to get compatible with the voom box.

I wish the voom box would just scan all channels and add them to the list if there is any consistent signal strength at all, and if there is no psip, or if the psip contains some but not all data, just make up the missing psip data that is needed to display the channel, and then let us make the decision to keep the scanned channels or delete them from the list. We need more control, and less of the box deciding for us what to show us and what not to show us.

This is what the digital receiver in my rca does and it works great at picking up 13-3.

Pbs Subchannels - Ct Pbs

I'm in Connecticut. I get 53-1 (PBS HD) loud and clear but no 53-2, 53-3, 53-4 or 53-5 even though they are mapped. Instead, I get the "no signal available" black screen. Moreover, when I do a manual scan, the box recognizes all of the subchannels, but, again, no signal.
What gives??

Martin-

kc7oda said:
I also have the same problem here in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I get channel
8-1 PBS SD just fine but black screen, no sound on 8-7. Scanned just fine
with strong signal. PBS engineer came over to the house and showed me
the picture on his equipment, my antenna... Has to be the VOOM box. Had
D*T before and received 8-7 just fine... If someone has had this problem
and has resolved it, please pass it on. My PBS engineer is trying to get ahold
of one of the engineers at Voom but has not had any luck.
New subject: By the way, is there anyone else here in Klamath Falls
watching Voom?
Thanks,
Terry

Terry, send me the engineer information with a description of your problem and I will pass the information to the motorola engineer and they will get in contact with him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts