OTA signal test

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
That place is too interested in talking to the engineers at the stations, all I want to know is if I can get by with a UHF only antenna.

If all of your HD OTA are in the UHF range, then yes. I'm in Houston, and 1 or 2 of my HD OTA are in the VHF range. So you really need to see where your locals are.

Then there is the issue of where they are, physically. We're lucky here in that the vast majority are all in one spot on an "antenna farm", so aiming the antenna is simple.

scotsmanron said:
That place is too interested in talking to the engineers at the stations, all I want to know is if I can get by with a UHF only antenna.
Go to http://www.antennaweb.org
Enter you complete address and 9 digit zip code.
UNcheck the "contact me" boxes to opt out of marketing crap.
On the results page, click digital only.
Look for UHF only or VHF & UHF stations in the results list.
If it shows both for digital, get a V/U antenna.

scotsmanron said:
I'm requesting a signal test to get my HD waivers. I live about two miles from an airport plus the city is between me and all of the towers.

My question is how do they measure and what are the units of measurement that are being read. I want to be there when they do it and I want to have some idea of what they are doing.

Can they say, "Well, get a bigger OTA antenna!!" and be done with it, or how does that work?

Markets that are ranked above 100 such as Tallahassee, FL (#109) do not move into the mandatory test phase until 2007.

Your channels range from 2 up to 46. You'll need an all channel antenna and a rotator. The distance from the towers and the proximity to the airport should not prevent over the air DTV reception.

* yellow - uhf WFSU-DT 11.1 PBS TALLAHASSEE FL 275° 19.4 32
* yellow - uhf WCTV-DT 6.1 CBS THOMASVILLE GA 45° 30.3 46
* red - vhf WTWC-DT 40.1 NBC TALLAHASSEE FL 41° 29.6 2
* red - uhf WTLF-DT 24.1 IND TALLAHASSEE FL 325° 12.9 24
* blue - uhf WTXL-DT 27.1 ABC TALLAHASSEE FL 43° 29.1 22
* blue - vhf WABW-DT 5 PBS PELHAM GA 07-08 45° 30.3 5

When testing is allowed the antenna height would be 20' if you live in a single story house and 30' if you live in a two story house. The test is done with a medium sized antenna, which is the right antenna for you anyway. A bigger antenna would help prevent occasional dropouts due to airplane flutter.

Last edited:
Do any of the OTA suppliers offer a money back warranty? Now I understand that I will need the uhf/vhf (thanks for the education guys!!). Of the stations above the Pelham PBS station is the only one I don't care about. When D* put up their little square OTA they were able to get the two uhf stations, but not very well.

scotsmanron said:
Do any of the OTA suppliers offer a money back warranty? .

http://www.antennasdirect.com/warranty.html

Return Policy
If, for any reason, you are not happy with your purchase, simply return your antenna within 90 days from the purchase date for a full refund. Please note that the item price and applicable taxes will be refunded. Shipping will not be refunded unless an error occurred on our part or the merchandise is deemed defective.

Special-order, closeout or discontinued items are non-returnable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts