OTA Stealth antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rmi63

Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I am currently using the Stealth antenna and can get all of my OTA channels. One of my channels is located around 30 miles away and is the weakest channel that I receive. It seems like during the afternoon, the signal strength was around 40-50 and during the night it is 20-30. Am I going to have any problems with my signal being this low? I was wondering if these antennas are directional. The installer didn't optimize pointing the antenna but was just interested if I got a picture or not.

Did you use the amplifier that was supplied with it? The antenna is directional, are your channels coming from different locations? If your local analogs are UHF, you can tune in your analog channels to get the best reception (assuming all the towers are in the same location).

rmi63 said:
I am currently using the Stealth antenna and can get all of my OTA channels. One of my channels is located around 30 miles away and is the weakest channel that I receive. It seems like during the afternoon, the signal strength was around 40-50 and during the night it is 20-30. Am I going to have any problems with my signal being this low? I was wondering if these antennas are directional. The installer didn't optimize pointing the antenna but was just interested if I got a picture or not.
I also have the Stealth...actually it is an Omni-directional antenna. I have 4 HD OTA channels in one close direction, and the 1 NBC station at a 45 degree angle to one side - the Stealth pulls all in well with a 77%-99% range of strength. It also gets the 2 local Fox ED stations at 100%.

Suggest you aim for the main stations you want, and see if you can get the rest. Height is a key factor in performance with this antenna (mine is outside ont he roofline). Also, the internal amp is a must if you plan to get the 15-40 mile signal range that this antenna is supposed to pull in.

I do have the internal amp installed and no the stations are not broadcasting from the same area. I was curious if the antenna is directional because the antenna is pointing west when all of the towers are to the south, southwest.

rmi63 said:
I do have the internal amp installed and no the stations are not broadcasting from the same area. I was curious if the antenna is directional because the antenna is pointing west when all of the towers are to the south, southwest.

The antenna is very directional try to move it towards the transmitter to see if you get better results.

OK, the Stealth antenna looks like a stealth bomber, right? So, to point it in the right direction do you make it so it looks like it is flying towards the direction of the tower or vice-a-versa?

wasch_24 said:
OK, the Stealth antenna looks like a stealth bomber, right? So, to point it in the right direction do you make it so it looks like it is flying towards the direction of the tower or vice-a-versa?

The "open" end faces towards the towers.

If your not expriencing any breakups or freezes on that signal strength, than I would leave it alone. However, I did have to get a dirctional antenna since I was experiencing a lot of breakups and freezes. My OTA antena strength with the new antenna has been around 65 - 71 on my weakest channel.

Do you have to have a clear line of site? I'm moving next month and my new apt. faces East NE. The Voom satellite will work just fine but I won't have a clear line of site for the Stealth. I'm hoping it will work.

Bob

Installing the "Stealth" higher helped me!

I also had the stealth installed and recieve all local channels, with intermitant problems receiving FOX (all stations broadcast within 15 miles of me). Voom sent out the installers twice to solve my FOX reception problem with no luck. They even tried the "upgrade" antenna which actually provided weaker signals. As a last ditch effort, the installer agreed to my suggestion to mount the stealth higher on my roof (originally near the gutter line). It was moved closer to the top of the 2nd story peak ridge line and presto, I now recieve FOX with no problems. I am amazed this simple solution wasn't obvious and needed heavy coaxing from me before even attempting!

Can the amp's power inserter be after the diplexor, before the box or does it have to be Antenna->Inserter->Diplexor->Diplexor->8VSB & SAT?

slffl said:
Well no wonder I had no signal. Mine was pointed towards the tower like an arrow.
Wait a second. I have had nothing but problems with antennas. I originally had the stealth, but it was pointed at the towers. The open end was facing my apt. No wonder it got nothing. It was my stupid installer who told me to face it towards the towers. Ugh. I just ordered the Sq. Shooter for $100. I could have had a good antenna for free.

Mine is also reversed (improper). I can still get all of my OTA's, but NBC tends to pixelate during the best shows. Going to give it a spin tomorrow. Great little antenna for the price!

cameron, the STB should be supplying power to the antenna amp. DC pass through the diplexor. You should not need the inserted power unless the antenna is run as its own line. Then the power is just after the STB.

I had assumed the 8VSB cartridge didn't insert DC? Perhaps the satellite port on the STB inserts enough DC for the LNB and the Stealth? I'll remove the inserter and check my stats. Thanks!

Looks like it inserts something...my station power/quality didn't change much after removing the inserter (I think they may have improved slightly). The inserter probably was just an unneeded device in the chain (killing even more signal) if the STB inserts plenty of power. While my OTA continues to work well, there seems to be some conflict among you guys as to whether or not the STB actually does insert enough power via the satellite-out port. Can anyone say for sure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts