OTA Success..... and failure too

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stumacdo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
East Coast
Today was the day when I finally hooked up my ChannelMaster antenna, Winegard amp and optimized my signal strength via antenna location. Good news first :

Using the Winegard UHF amp (with VHF passthru), NBC & Fox in Hartford to the North of me come in great. The amp boosted the signal from the 30's to the 70's.

Bad news. My VHF channels in New Haven to the South of me all plummeted from the 90's down to the 60's. The Winegard amp is supposed to pass through the VHF signal unamplified, but it seems to severely degrade the VHF signal only while boosting the UHF substantially. I think I've got 2 options, but I wanted the forums advice :

1. Replace the Winegard UHF amp with either a ChannelMaster 7777 or comparable Winegard that boosts the VHF signal as well (maybe risking overloading the New Haven signals to the South of me since they're only 5 miles away ??)
2. Leaving the UHF set up as is and maybe hooking up a small, indoor VHF receiver to boost my New Haven signals only. The signal's so strong that usually a pair of rabbit ears will pick it up nicely.

If I go with Option #2, I presume it involves some sort of diplexing ?? If so, would I diplex the signal from my VHF antenna with the signal after the UHF power supply, but before it goes into my TV, or does it work some other way ?

I'm sure the easiest may be to just replace the Winegard with the CM7777, but you know how it can be returning equipment sometimes.....

Any advice would help. Thanks.

I'm at work right now, so I don't have the exact models, but I believe :

ChannelMaster 3010 StealthAntenna UHF/VHF
Winegard UHF Mast-mounted Amp w/ VHF Pass-through

The ChannelMaster antenna receives signals from both sides, which theoretically should work out great here as my UHF and VHF signal are almost 180 degrees apart. I'm wondering if perhaps I need an attenuator (?!?!)

Installed my OTA UHF/VHF antenna w/pre-amp and receive all UHF channells 20 miles away great. However, my VHF channels, which are less than 5 miles away and are extremely strong, are all over the board signal wise. Goes from 70 down to 10, back up to 90, down to 20, etc, etc. The pre-amp I'm using is a Winegard UHF amp w/VHF pass-through. I purchased that one as I knew the VHF signal was really strong in my area and only needed the UHF boost. I tried this afternoon to switch out the amp with a Winegard combined UHF/VHF amp. Same problem. I suspect I've got a problem in that the VHF transmitter is only a few miles away and is overloading me.

I think on this forum I've heard about an attenuator which (I believe) helps regulate signal strengths. Could this be something that might assist. I'm so frustrated because I'm close to getting this all worked out. Thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)