OTA Tuner on 622 VS 722K

Yeah, I looked at Solid Signal at splitters and now I suspect my splitter reads "-3dB" or "-7db". They're Perfect Vision parts, as I recall.

LOSS not gain

I've got a 722K on the way and I happen to be very close to the broadcast towers (less then 8 miles). Just in case I have issues though, I have a couple of 2-way or 3-way splitters, rated for 2ghz, I believe. I think one might add 3dB or 7db. Could I use one of those if my signal strength is low ?
All you splitters has a loss of 3 or 7 dB. Perhaps good thing in your case, due close proximity and possible overload OTA tuners.

Yep, you can overload the OTA tuner easily at that distance. I hooked up a 722 and a 612 at my sisters new house last summer. She is 5 miles from the towers and I had to put a 10db attenuator on the antenna line in the wiring closet before the receivers would find any channels. I ended up putting another attenuator at the box themselves to really stabilize all the signals.

I already have a 622 and pick up the OTA channels with no problem. I get 4 of the 6 at 100% and the other 2 at 97%. I don't even anticipate trouble with the 722K, but just in case...

FWIW, I had a new 612 and 722k installed this week to replace a 211 and 625 and both the 612 and 722k pick up 40 OTA channels (including sub-channels) where the 211 could only get 36. I do have an amp installed in the attic where the antenna feed comes into the house.

I wish the darn signal strength meter for these OTA tuners worked more like the satellite tuners... These show a SS of 70 and I think I'm good (722, 612, even my DTVpal) but I'm not. A little lower and I'm pixellating like crazy and showing a "signal lost" yellow screen.

I wish the darn signal strength meter for these OTA tuners worked more like the satellite tuners... These show a SS of 70 and I think I'm good (722, 612, even my DTVpal) but I'm not. A little lower and I'm pixellating like crazy and showing a "signal lost" yellow screen.
I wouldn't consider a "70" to be good, of course, it certainly depends on the receiver and what it's "signal strength" meter really means. Anything below 75 is what I'd consider flaky.

I wouldn't consider a "70" to be good, of course, it certainly depends on the receiver and what it's "signal strength" meter really means. Anything below 75 is what I'd consider flaky.
Exactly my point! This means that (1) SS for OTA tuner is completely different and inflated vis a vis the sat tuners and (2) most of the scale for the OTA tuner is completely useless.

It's measuring two different "types" of signals. For OTA, 0-100 is considered the standard scale. For satellite, 0-100 is not standard (anymore).

The OTA scale on THOSE receivers is useless to be from 0-100, as they won't show ANY signal at all below 56. My old VOOM box at least shows all the way down to zero, which makes it easier to point an antenna. On the E* boxes you sometimes won't even know when you're close. I understand that you need a minimum SS to have a picture at all for DTV, nevertheless it seemed easier to point the antenna with the VOOM box.

Looking at the posts in this thread, it seems that some people with the MT2 OTA module are experiencing problems, while others are not. Could it simply be a case of poor QA leading to inconsistency. Or, does it seem like these modules generally suck, unless you are blessed with a kickass signal?

I'm curious as I recently bought a 722k, and was gonna spring for the MT2. And, even though all of my digital stations are "yellow", according to Antennaweb and TVFool, most are about 40 miles away. I anticipate less-than-perfect signal, once split to three TV's/Tuners. (Four, if you count the MT2 as two.)

Can't believe I'm agreeing with Smith from above, but if splitting the signal into (2) is truly the problem, there's very little that software can do to fix it.

There's practically nothing that SW can do about it. And, I never thought there was. Although, they did have varying success fixing OTA issues with SW updates on the 811.

But, if there is a HW problem right now, it might be worth it to wait before buying an MT2 module. They have been known to fix HW problems mid-production in the past.

They have also been known to produce wildly inconsistent HW, which could mean that some MT2 are crap, and some are fine. I'd like to hear more reports from users.

L651 Software for 722k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)