OTA Tuner on 622 VS 722K

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I took home a 722K from the office today to replace a 522 I was using, and I figured I might as well install the OTA unit on the 722K to take advantage of the Dual Tuners for OTA recording.

I have not had OTA antenna at my house in over 5 years since I had an addition put on my house, and just finally got around to installing an antenna in the attic since my roof pitch is now really bad after the addition was put on.

On the 622 I get all the channels in my area without an issue.

I got another 622 in another room, I get all the channels except for channel 20 which was an old WB affiliate.

With the Room with the 722K the OTA is the worst, I don't get channel 20 in addition im noticing that the picture keeps on breaking up on our ABC Affiliate which is giving me a 75% signal strengh and im seeing slight pixilization on channel 50 which is our CW affiliate.

Im thinking the 722K was susposed to be better, but it seems to me that the OTA tuner is not as sensitive.

Try the good 622 at the 722K location and the 722 at the 622 location it could be a cabling problem. You probably already did that but it was the first thought. Didn't you have a fire about a year ago was cabling replaced?:)

Claude your findings match those of mine. The OTA tuner on the 722k stinks.

The issue probably isnt the tuner itself but the fact the the OTA signal is split to two signals before it reached the tuner, this internal splitting is probably what is causing the issue of lower signal strength.

Claude your findings match those of mine. The OTA tuner on the 722k stinks.

The issue probably isnt the tuner itself but the fact the the OTA signal is split to two signals before it reached the tuner, this internal splitting is probably what is causing the issue of lower signal strength.

Scott or Claude, have you tried putting a small powered signal amplifier between the 722k and your OTA feed?

Here's to hoping that they fix this by the time the 922 comes out. I depend a lot on being able to record OTA with my 722. If the OTA module is worse, no 722k or 922 for me.

Its the SAME ota cartidge for the 922.

As far as an amp goes, my antenna is on the roof, and I am not going up there to put an AMP on it. :)

Try the good 622 at the 722K location and the 722 at the 622 location it could be a cabling problem. You probably already did that but it was the first thought. Didn't you have a fire about a year ago was cabling replaced?:)

Its all brand new RG6 Quad Shield. Deffinitly not cabeling.

The 622 is actually about 10 feet longer cable run than the 722

Try an amp already. You can get them wholesale, right?

10dB should be good to start. You can set it up right behind the 722k, if an external install not possible.

Winegard and ChannelMaster are good brands, as you probably know.

Same OTA problems

Yeah, that internal splitter in the 722k OTA module is causing a ton more signal loss than a normal 3.5db or 7.5db loss that you see in a 2way or 4way splitter. Its just amazing how much it is degrading the signal strength. I hope they can fix this with a firmware update. I tried a 10db gain splitter and it is helping a little if you have a channel that is on the fringe but it can't perform a miracle.

Why you expect a miralce from SW when HW cannot make the trick ?!
It will not.

True. I do believe the problem lies in what you previously said about this subject below.

Smith said:
looks like Dish hired same developers in UK who are doing coding and QA in ideal lab environment using perfect working 8VSB modulators - no multi-path, no weak signals, no interference from weather/airport radars, etc

I would try an amplifier like others suggested. I wouldn't try much more than a 10dB to start out. Actually, I think there are adjustable ones from Radio Shack that may be 15dB at full gain. Its an amp / splitter. 1 in / 4 out & a recessed pot for gain adjustment...

I have a similar problem with my VIP-622. When I program the channels through the 622, they work for a few minutes and then there seems to be a loss of signal strength and hence no channels.

I have my antenna just sitting on top of the cabinet that the TV sits in.:D

I have a Terk antenna which seems to work fine when it is connected directly to the Sony HD TV. However, when I connect it to the 622, then the problems begin.

I would just leave it connected to the TV, but I would not be able to record and also my wife would rather not have to switch from DISH to OTA to find the channels. Neither would I.

Is the amplifier the way to go with my problem also?

Thanks, Brad

I've got a 722K on the way and I happen to be very close to the broadcast towers (less then 8 miles). Just in case I have issues though, I have a couple of 2-way or 3-way splitters, rated for 2ghz, I believe. I think one might add 3dB or 7db. Could I use one of those if my signal strength is low ?

There is no such thing as a passive splitter that adds to the signal strength. Do you really mean you have a distribution amp with multiple outputs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)