OTA Tuner

BarneyBean

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
I have a Toshiba rear projection TV. I love the picture but its only a monitor so I need a tuner to get the local HD signals. Is anyone else using a seperate tuner on ther TV and if so what brand and how how would you rate it.

I have a Toshiba rear projection TV. I love the picture but its only a monitor so I need a tuner to get the local HD signals. Is anyone else using a seperate tuner on ther TV and if so what brand and how how would you rate it.

I have tried the Samsung SIR-T451 receiver before, it worked well, until I decided to get a computer tuner instead.

What do you mean computer tuner, is it like the HD stuff that you can do on it. DVB card?

Very few manufacturers have made add on OTA tuners for the erstwhile "HD ready" monitors that were made during the early transition period to digital and HDTV.

A year ago, several add on boxes were available, including the $200 retail Hisense, which could have been found at WalMart. The since have dried up, due to the anticipated $40 coupon program sanction by the federal government.

Cable require a QAM standard tuner. OTA requires an ATSC tuner. Satellite providers have both HDMI and component output. The industry has conspired to to limit the resolution of component video output. Basically, the industry does not want a box capable of providing high resolution HDTV signals that can be recorded onto HDTV or Blue-Ray formats. That would cut into High Resolution DVD sales.

Enter the computer based tuner. These are a lot cheaper to make and are widely available in the add-in card and USB interface. Just use it in an old slow PC. This is your best option. Old slow processor PC litter the landscape.

Alternate solution

Have you considered a TIVO DVR? I purchased a new HD TIVO in December and love it. They run around $250, have a HDMI connector, and are compatible with cable TV should you ever decide to go that route.

Dave

BarneyBean, If your TV has component video in (red, blue, green) using an external off-air HDTV receiver will look good even if only a 4:3 aspect ratio. I use old Voom or some DirecTV receivers the program guide dosnt work but they are cheap.

Echostar is coming out with an OTA dual tuner DVR in July that DOES NOT require a subscription fee.
EricB,
Do you know if the TR-50 will output HD via HDMI? I know the TR-40 does not and was wondering if anyone knew. TiVO will NEVER get my business.

I bought the HiSense set-top-box over 18 months ago. It worked great but broke in January. I searched around for alternatives, but only Best Buy and Circuit City were the ones I could find still selling an OTA HD STB. They carried the same model for around $180. Instead, I contacted the company that bought up the remaining supply of receivers from US Digital when they sold off their assets. They sell these models on eBay and you can probably end up getting one around $50 to $60.

In my opinion, this is a steal. I was very happy with the HiSense receiver and until the market comes out with newer models (hopefully this summer) it's a small investment. The main disadvantage of this receiver is it only has S-video, composite and component outputs. No HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts