Status
Please reply by conversation.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Before I got D* HD I got all my HD stuff with my Terk antenna. Now that I got the D* I don't really need it anymore, except for my ABC hd, because the company that owns my affiliate are acting like a bunch of things that rhymes with the word "Runts." Anyways right now the OTA is just hooked up through the tv, and the D* installer said I should just keep it that way. Thing is I'm not sure how intelligent all the installers are, so I"m wondering; is it worth moving my antenna over to my receiver so I Don't have to keep switching inputs on my tv, or is it better to keep it just attached to the tv?

I think its worth having an OTA connection. If bad weather hits and you lose the satellite you can view your OTA channels. If you connect to your HR-20 you can scan them in and use your guide to view them and not have to change inputs. I vote yes.

Yourbeliefs,
Why not do both ?
You can use a regular splitter on the OTA line coming in and put one into your TV and one into your receiver.

Jimbo

Yourbeliefs,
Why not do both ?
You can use a regular splitter on the OTA line coming in and put one into your TV and one into your receiver.

Jimbo
Doesn't that degrade the signal? Also I don't know if I feel like switching between the 2 constantly. I only have 1 coaxial input on my stereo which already needs to share time with my Xbox 360.

I've never noticed any difference in quality having my OTA in the receiver vs just straight into the TV. For me, it's definitely better having it all in one place and being able to use the guide.

I've never noticed any difference in quality having my OTA in the receiver vs just straight into the TV. For me, it's definitely better having it all in one place and being able to use the guide.
The tribe has spoken: After my 2 eggs and english muffin I will be connecting the Terk to the H20.

Ok I hooked it up.. it looks like a nice setup.. but does D* guide update with information for the OTA channels or will it just always say, "Regular Schedule"?

Ok I hooked it up.. it looks like a nice setup.. but does D* guide update with information for the OTA channels or will it just always say, "Regular Schedule"?
I know my H10 always did that. But I believe both my HR10 and HR20 show the actual programming information for the OTA channels.

SOLVED. When I went through the setup before I accidentally canceled out the local market lookup process.. so I went through it again and it got the info, and now I have all the stuff on my guide. I just wish I could figure out the position my antenna needs to be in to get all the stations possible OTA in watchable quality. I still don't get though why I can't get NBC and FOX in the same type of HD strength of signal considering they both broadcast from the same place (meaning I can point to one place and get great NBC, but have to point at a whole other place to get watchable FOX.) Well overall though the most important thing is I get steady ABC HD.

"I just wish I could figure out the position my antenna needs to be in to get all the stations possible OTA in watchable quality."

NO PROBLEM. Go to AntennaWeb , enter your address, and it will tell you what type of antenna you need and the bearings to the station. Very, very cool.

Personally I think the word "Terk Antenna" is your most important problem.. If you get a good antenna your problems may be solved.

That depends on where he is. A lot of people can hang a wire out of the ant in and pick up a good portion of their locals... I am using a sensar II and it picks up a channel most deem impossible in my area 4-1 in Brownsburg, IN. I cannot get it without the ant getting power and I am aimed at it sacrificing some pixelization on 13-1 however D* offers 13 and I make it up there.

Personally I think the word "Terk Antenna" is your most important problem.. If you get a good antenna your problems may be solved.
I think the antenna is ok. Actually I seem to have achieved a decent signal now for the majority of my stations. ABC and NBC come in great (in terms of reception, not PQ), CBS is stable but far from perfect, and Fox has the most issues. As I stated beforehand though, all I need OTA for is ABC.. which is run by that stupid media group that is charging D* excessive rates for broadcasting HD.

I think you are right about the splitter--I have my OTA from 35 miles LOS and I get audio dropouts all over and fewer stations with the splitter. So the OTA goes into the HR20 so I can record Yankee games on My9 in HD. The Mitsu TV on its own may have slightly better quality and picks up more stations that I don't care about, but I can't record.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MLB HD on channel 95 says call ext. 721 to order!!!!

HD Channel Listing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)