OTA Waivers / DNS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smackman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Hey everyone...

I've got another interesting question for everyone.

My physical location is about 1/2 way between Cincinnati and Dayton. Directly to my South, 300 feet away sits a huge commercial radio tower (700 WLW AM). This tower is 750 feet tall, and poses nothing but problems for everyone around the neighborhood who own things like TV's, computers, stereos, etc...

Complicating matters, no local stations in Cincinnati are O&O.

Due to the tower being where it is, I cannot pick up most locals over the air. Even with FM traps and high-pass filters, nothing really helps.

Does anyone out there have any idea whether there would be any "special circumstance" type of a waiver for a situation such as this?

Have you requested a waiver? If the waivers are denied, then just request a signal test.

The problem with the signal test is that they don't sperate the analog signal test from the DTV. An example is I live in the Denver DMA and ABC,CBS and NBC are all low power in downtown because of a tower dispute. However all the documentation points to the signal levels when they actually get up and running at full power. This could be as much as 2 years out.

Basically I don't know how a station can deny a waiver when they are not even broadcasting at the final level. The burden should be on the OTA broadcaster that all the equipment is installed. This basically stinks of politics because the simple answer is unless the station is approved by the FCC at full power the waiver should be the default. What would motivate a station to do anything if they can just deny you without cause....

I really hate getting the legal system involved but what other recourse do we have?

From what I was reading - it does not look like even analog signals are coming in for this guy.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to everyone who posted replies to my question. Been swamped at work a few days here...

I had posted the same sort of ? over on the AVS forums for the Cincinnati area, and everyone in there was befuddled as to why I couldn't get any signals from my location, even with the 750' tall radio transmitting tower in the front yard...

So, in doing some testing, I tried my old Samnsung OTA STB with the Winegard Sensar that D* installed - couldn't receive anything with it, either... So that ruled out the D* STB as being the problem.

In desparation, I grabbed my old rabbit ears and hooked them to the D* STB. Lo and behold, I can now get all of the Dayton channels digital/HD OTA...

So, it seems that the Winegard has some sort of problem with it. My general inclination is that the installer didn't weatherproof his connections and water got in the coax run somewhere... We've tried pointing the Winegard in different directions, but to no avail, which again leads me to think that the problem is in the coax run somewhere.

I received a response from D* regarding DNS for my location... It appears that even if you fall into the "unservicable" category (my terminology may be off here, but read something about it on the FCC website), D* cannot offer distant networks if your local stations aren't O&O.

The point has been made on other posts in other threads on this board - SHVERA has some serious problems with it... I couldn't agree more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts