OTA with Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
None of my locals are presently broadcasting in digital, let alone HD. One is due to go on line with digital in the next few months. The rest are listing as having construction permits.

If I go with Voom withing the next few weeks before the one station goes on line digitally, will I still get the OTA antenna.

What kind of antenna do they install. will it be somewhat guaranteed to pick up the locals.

I am in the boondocks of central Wyoming. All this potential for HD but I can't get any of the networks in HD from any of the DBS systems, let alone over the air.

What is the HD like for Canadian's. Is is really good and would we be really envious?

so is that the one?

So is that the antenna they install as a matter of course? Or is it just a possibility. Or should I not worry about what they install and put up a big honker, after they run all the cable to the "free" antenna.

Is Voom at all serious about giving D and E a run for their money. It would appear that any sport fan (ESPN, NESN, FOX Sportnet etc) will still have to deal with either D or E.

for my viewing habits it will appear that I will need to keep my C band dish for East and Mt. Networks (I was grandfathered), use Voom for HD and whatever I will get over the air, and get D or E for the rest of "junk TV".

Sounds to me like all the providers are missing the boat. Dish has the problems with 811 and 921, both Dish and E have limited HD programing, and Voom as limited SD programing.

Why no one stop shopping.

That's the one they install. It has a range within 45 miles. You can certainly put up another antenna. That's what I did. As to the other stuff, one stop shopping, I wish that was possible.

Trouthead said:
So is that the antenna they install as a matter of course? Or is it just a possibility. Or should I not worry about what they install and put up a big honker, after they run all the cable to the "free" antenna.

Is Voom at all serious about giving D and E a run for their money. It would appear that any sport fan (ESPN, NESN, FOX Sportnet etc) will still have to deal with either D or E.

for my viewing habits it will appear that I will need to keep my C band dish for East and Mt. Networks (I was grandfathered), use Voom for HD and whatever I will get over the air, and get D or E for the rest of "junk TV".

Sounds to me like all the providers are missing the boat. Dish has the problems with 811 and 921, both Dish and E have limited HD programing, and Voom as limited SD programing.

Why no one stop shopping.

In time VOOM will catch up on the SD content. I use two DISH's, one from VOOM and one from DISH Network.

Bill

VOOM in PA

Anyone have VOOM Service in the Lancaster, PA Area. I'm trying to find out how many OTA Channels I will receive with VOOM's Antena before I dive into the VOOM!!!!!

Thanks

Sean, WTICDT signed on today and WVITDT is supposed to sign on the end of the week as long as the weather is good the rest of the week so they can finish last minute stuff. Think WTIC is channel 33 and WVIT is going to be channel 35. Can you find out from Wilt how long before they will add it to the mapping for the ota.

pmalve said:
Sean, WTICDT signed on today and WVITDT is supposed to sign on the end of the week as long as the weather is good the rest of the week so they can finish last minute stuff. Think WTIC is channel 33 and WVIT is going to be channel 35. Can you find out from Wilt how long before they will add it to the mapping for the ota.

Sure. Send me this information to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with the zipcode in question. Thanks.

I took some pictures of the OTA antenna box that has some useful information

Attachments

• MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 284
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 288
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 274
  • MVC-017F.JPG
    MVC-017F.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 278
  • MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 296
More pictures including the pre-amp.

Attachments

• MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 253
  • MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 259
  • MVC-021F.JPG
    MVC-021F.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 234
  • MVC-022F.JPG
    MVC-022F.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 222
  • MVC-023F.JPG
    MVC-023F.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 230
antennaweb.org is a great site. Most of my OTA towers are within 30 miles. I justed wanted to get an idea from anyone else with VOOM service in my area if they are able to pick up all the locals in Lancaster, York, and Harrisburg Areas.

Is Voom using the amplified version of the Stealthtenna or the non-amplified version?

Thanks everyone.

Pre-amp should be only installed if you are very far from the transmitter. If you are within 10-15 miles, it should not be installed because it will burn the pre-amp. In my case, I did not need it. But others have installed it. How far are you stations? go to www.antennaweb.org and it should give you a good idea. ONLY check the digital stations.

They include the amp in the box, you have to make sure the installer puts it in though

Sean Mota said:
Pre-amp should be only installed if you are very far from the transmitter. If you are within 10-15 miles, it should not be installed because it will burn the pre-amp. In my case, I did not need it. But others have installed it. How far are you stations? go to www.antennaweb.org and it should give you a good idea. ONLY check the digital stations.

I'm wondering if I should even bother with having them set up the OTA antenna, as I already pick up everything from yellow to light green with my Radio Shack amplified rabbit ear antenna in my attic? On average all the digital stations seem to be broadcasting from about 27-30 miles away. If I did have them set it up anyway, would you have them set up the amplifier, Sean?

GeneWildershair said:
I'm wondering if I should even bother with having them set up the OTA antenna, as I already pick up everything from yellow to light green with my Radio Shack amplified rabbit ear antenna in my attic? On average all the digital stations seem to be broadcasting from about 27-30 miles away. If I did have them set it up anyway, would you have them set up the amplifier, Sean?

I, myselft, did not bother installing the Stealth Antenna because I had two already installed that were picking up all my OTAs. The installer liked that :) less work for him. You could try the pre-amp, but if you are satisfied with your signal strength do not use it. Having said that do check the strength of the signal through the VOOM receiver before saying no. Also check your mapping to ensure that VOOM has mapped your OTA stations.

The mapping is essential. Without mapping, you will not see the stations.

That antenna should work fine for me. Right now I have a Silver Sensor Indoor antenna and I pickup most of my OTA channels in my area with no problem.

* yellow - uhf KSTW-DT 36.1 UPN TACOMA WA 208° 16.8 36
* yellow - uhf KTWB-DT 22.1 WB SEATTLE WA 208° 16.7 25
* yellow - uhf KWDK-DT 42 DAY TACOMA WA 06-04 151° 19.4 42
* yellow - uhf KWPX-DT 33.1 PAX Bellevue WA 151° 19.4 32
* yellow - uhf KOMO-DT 4.1 ABC Seattle WA 215° 17.6 38
* yellow - uhf KING-DT 5.1 NBC Seattle WA 215° 17.5 48
* yellow - uhf KIRO-DT 7.1 CBS Seattle WA 216° 17.7 39
* yellow - uhf KCTS-DT 9.1 PBS Seattle WA 208° 16.7 41
* green - uhf KCPQ-DT 13.1 FOX Tacoma WA 227° 38.9 18
* green - uhf KONG-DT 16.1 IND EVERETT WA 215° 17.5 31
* red - uhf KWOG-DT 51.1 IND BELLEVUE WA 151° 19.4 50
* red - uhf KTBW-DT 14.1 TBN TACOMA WA 227° 38.4 14
* blue - uhf KVOS-DT 12.1 IND BELLINGHAM WA 311° 71.6 35
* violet - uhf KBCB-DT 19 IND BELLINGHAM WA TBD 311° 72.0 19
* violet - uhf KHCV-DT 44.1 SAH SEATTLE WA 151° 19.4 44

This is how antennaweb.org looks for me. I pickup all of the yellow and green signals with the Silver Sensor at about 80-90%. The problem is, that I have to move the antenna slightly to get some of my channels to come in, since the Silver Sensor is highly directional.

Will having the antenna on the roof alleviate the need to move the antenna?

Thanks,
Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)