OTA with Voom

The Stealth antenna only has a range of 45 miles for VHF signals and a range of 30 miles for UHF.... correct?

Sean Mota said:
I, myselft, did not bother installing the Stealth Antenna because I had two already installed that were picking up all my OTAs. The installer liked that :) less work for him. You could try the pre-amp, but if you are satisfied with your signal strength do not use it. Having said that do check the strength of the signal through the VOOM receiver before saying no. Also check your mapping to ensure that VOOM has mapped your OTA stations.

The mapping is essential. Without mapping, you will not see the stations.

The mapping seems to be consitant with what I am already picking up with my current set up. Thanks for the input Sean. :D

ota question

On Antennaweb.org, it shows I cannot receive any digital channels where I live. If I have a larger antenna installed with an amp could I then receive some of the signals?

miked said:
On Antennaweb.org, it shows I cannot receive any digital channels where I live. If I have a larger antenna installed with an amp could I then receive some of the signals?

Difficult to answer. Antennaweb.org could be wrong but most of the time is right. How far are you from the transmitter? more than 45 miles?

miked said:
44.3 miles from the major network sites.

Anything blocking you big buildings or trees? Two story house or one? Anything that you can see that will block the OTA signal from where you are? If no, then you can get an outside antenna with bigger range and a pre-amp.

Thanks. I presently do have a large antenna with a preamp but I cannot receive any signals. When the installer setup the antenna we checked with Antennaweb.org and Philadelphia seemed to be the closest major network area from my address. After the install I did not have any mapping channels listed. After several days the mapping appeared but I noticed that the channels were NY listings and no Philadelphia. I checked with zap2it and verified I do not have the listing for any Philadelphia channels. I called customer service and they suggested I point it to NY. NY is 65 miles from my home. Any ideas what I can do to get the mapping to list Philadelphia. If I can get the mapping I may be able to get the signals.

miked said:
Thanks. I presently do have a large antenna with a preamp but I cannot receive any signals. When the installer setup the antenna we checked with Antennaweb.org and Philadelphia seemed to be the closest major network area from my address. After the install I did not have any mapping channels listed. After several days the mapping appeared but I noticed that the channels were NY listings and no Philadelphia. I checked with zap2it and verified I do not have the listing for any Philadelphia channels. I called customer service and they suggested I point it to NY. NY is 65 miles from my home. Any ideas what I can do to get the mapping to list Philadelphia. If I can get the mapping I may be able to get the signals.

Your zipcode to which DMA does it belong? Philadelphia or NY? Are you using a diplexer?

my zipcode is 08865. I do not know what dma I belong to. I asssumed Philadelphia because of the distance. Also I don't believe a diplexer was installed with the antenna but I can be wrong.

This is how the diplexer looks connected to the back of your receiver:

diap3s.jpg

When you write a letter do you xxx, Philadelphia or NY? I know this is not a perfect answer to the DMA; just curious.

Actually, do you get cable or used to get cable or any other satellite provider? Which local channels they show - Philadelphia or NY?

No, they removed the diplexer when they installed a more powerful antenna. Philadelphia is the main channels that cable uses but they also included the NY channels for customers on the border. I have both but Philadelphia are the primary.

Send me your name,telephone, address, to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us In the subject of the email just say "VOOM OTA Problems". Describe in the email the problem you are having receiving OTA and which stations VOOM is mapping. I will request for you to get a mapped to Philadelphia (if possible). I was also told that right now mapping multiple DMA to VOOM box is not possible but it will be possible soon.

Sean Mota said:
Send me your name,telephone, address, to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us In the subject of the email just say "VOOM OTA Problems". Describe in the email the problem you are having receiving OTA and which stations VOOM is mapping. I will request for you to get a mapped to Philadelphia (if possible). I was also told that right now mapping multiple DMA to VOOM box is not possible but it will be possible soon.

Sean,

When in the world are they going to put a scanner in the VOOM box like DirecTV ? We really need that.

DISH has a scanner as well. VOOM is slacking on that detail.

Lucky said:
Sean,

When in the world are they going to put a scanner in the VOOM box like DirecTV ? We really need that.

April/May is the date. But understand that the mapping I believe will still need to be done to get you the correct PG information to your box. There will be also an added feature that needs to be done before the scanning - adding multiple dma/zipcode. Let's hope.

Sean Mota said:
April/May is the date. But understand that the mapping I believe will still need to be done to get you the correct PG information to your box. There will be also an added feature that needs to be done before the scanning - adding multiple dma/zipcode. Let's hope.
Just had mine installed today. It says on the program guide channel 13 PBS but I can not pull it in with the OTA antenna that was installed. Is this normal. My zip is 11379. :confused:

OTA Antenna

What kind of OTA antenna does Voom use? I live in an apartment, so space is limited. I also do not live far from the towers. Thanks. I can't wait until install on Thursday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)