OTA woes on new install

Armenian

Original poster
Nov 26, 2004
Hope you can help me out, as I’m not getting any of my OTA stations. Had the install a week ago and when the installer scanned for the OTA stations, nada, no stations and zero on the signal strength. Tried moving the antenna around, still nothing.
And it looks like it might be a while to get it fixed between calls to Voom, Installs, Inc, and the local installer. One doesn’t know the schedule of the other. Was supposed to be yesterday, nope, now next week.
Here’s my setup: OTA antenna is a bat-wing shaped Winegard, looks like the same one that’s on my fifth wheel trailer, no model number on it, but I believe it’s an amplified model if it is like my camper one. If you can point me to where the model number might be, I’ll go back up and look for it.
Two cables come from the dish LNB down to a Winegard multiswitch model VM-3400. One connects to the LNB-A (13v) jack and the other to the LNB-B (15v) jack. The cable from the OTA antenna connects to the middle UHF/VHF jack…..no power listed on that one. On the other side are the four receiver jacks. No diplexer outside that I can see.
Cables go to the STB’s and they each have the locking type splitter connected.
According to antennaweb.org, I should be getting three stations in the red zone, one blue and one violet. I have a tree within 30'. Those are the digital ones. I’d be happy with the three in the red zone. In the Voom listing for what I should be getting are those stations plus one more not listed for a total of six. Except for one station, all are listed as under 6 miles from me.
Supposed to be coming out (who knows when) with a larger antenna and a new multiswitch.
Question is….do I have the right parts so far and is it hooked up correctly?
Thanks…..Rick

Armenian said:
The cable from the OTA antenna connects to the middle UHF/VHF jack…..no power listed on that one.
This might be the source of your problem. The Winegard antenna you have is most likely an amplified one (has a built-in amplifier). If the multi-switch does not supply DC voltage to it, it won't work. If that's the case, you need a different type of multi-switch: the one that supplies voltage to the OTA input.

Welcome to the forum Armenian!

According to Installs, Inc., the model I probably got sent was the Winegard GS-1100, non-amplified.
So, would I have to have a multi-switch that was powered then?

If you are certain that your antenna is not amplified, then the multiswitch that you have, should be fine. If the OTA signal is 0, something is not connected properly.
Here is what I would try:
1. Disconnect the diplexer attached to the back of your STB (make sure to unlock it first).
2. Pull out and then re-insert the OTA module. Connect the diplexer and try again.
3. If the above doesn't help, get a small indoor antenna and connect it to the OTA input of the STB. You should be able to get at least something if your are within 6 miles of the tower!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)