"Other Devices" in Network computer..?

turtled

Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I think this is my first time posting - long time lurker...

I noticed (I am thinking after the software update) in Vista and Win7 Network computers, under other devices I now have a ViP622 (with serial number) right next to my Windows Home Server icon...? It has a local address (192.168.0.199:49200) then with dishnetwork.com after it. Direct link doesn't work, direct with port doesn't work... was curious if any of you have seen it, and if so, any clue on if we'll have access to "whole house DVR" through PCs (FINALLY?!?!) or Xbox360/PS3?? Or is it just for GoogleTV?

Thanks for all the information!

Turtle D

Attachments

• 622.jpg
    622.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 404
You must have your 622 connected to your router by ethernet, so it's going to show up as a network device as will anything connected to the router. It should have been there whenever you connected it, not just after the software update.

You must have your 622 connected to your router by ethernet, so it's going to show up as a network device as will anything connected to the router. It should have been there whenever you connected it, not just after the software update.

That is not correct. The receivers did not become discoverable in Windows until the last software update.

I hadn't seen it in the "Network Neighborhood" before last week. GoogleTV makes sense - would still like to see sharing across the network - maybe a foot in the door?

Thanks for the responses!

That is not correct. The receivers did not become discoverable in Windows until the last software update.

I'm running XP and while it doesn't show as part of my home network in Windows itself, it has been recognized as an attached device by my firewalls ever since I connected it a couple of years ago.

I'm running XP and while it doesn't show as part of my home network in Windows itself, it has been recognized as an attached device by my firewalls ever since I connected it a couple of years ago.

My router/firewall has noticed it as well, I knew it had its own IP address, and I could ping it, but the network discovery (in Windows) is what made me smile! If I could pull shows off through the network, bonus!

I have 2 Vip622's and 2 Vip612's all hooked to the Internet. The 622's show up on the network when I look at the Network. Icon on my windows Vista lap-top but the 612's do not show up and they are all hooked to the Internet and the cable it good. Maybe this is some thing new to come. SOON

Please note that I specifically said 'Discoverable in Windows', which is what the original post was about... And my statement was correct. There was no Windows discovery until the GTV update.

Some new insite

Not sure if anyone is still following this post. But I have a 722k and found if you browse to it via SSL (https://192.168.0.x) you get a certificate error, if you ignore that you get a login prompt! Have yet to figure out what the login info is (just the black 401 error page) that is but could be some neat things instore or just some diag tools. Just need to hunt down the login info :D

that seems new.. don't remember getting a hit from 443 before ... and have already tried root and admin with the sling adapter password (nada) makes me think I should get out one of my linux boxes and start watching port traffic more closely ... see if it decides to open up any outbound or inbound ports other than 510x for sling.. :)

the 49200 ... if you go to your dish receiver's ip address in for the X's here: http://x.x.x.x:49200/description.xml you get a detail page ... shows the pairing for UPnP. I assumed that is what was causing it to show up in Windows, because its broadcasting out looking for UPnP enabled options..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)