Out of contract tried to cancel offered $30 off per month

About a month or 2 ago they gave me $45 off per month for 12 months with no new contract. I have the 120+ with a Hopper and 1 Joey. My total bill after tax is now about $45.

Wow! $50.00 off for 6 months! DISH must really be losing subs if they are willing to take that loss. I will be calling next week to see what I can get, since my credits are all used up from my last call. Would love it if they offered me that much. I have spent a lot of money over the last 18 years with DISH ,buying receivers, dishes ,switches ,etc. I would really love to have some of my money back with a $50.00 off offer for 6 months.

Wonder how they will respond when I call in when my employee account is switched on over... Ex Roommate still hasn't stopped the service here yet... haha. guess it has only be a week. Maybe I will just pay the fee for a little while. Mike, how is the water on the darkside?

My favorite thing is when people lose a good credit and then act like they deserve another automatically because of all the money they spent in the past... as if that last credit never existed.

Got to admit I'm a bit torn on this issue. Personally I don't like when people call in all the time to get credits. Most of the time they have no intention of canceling. I have been with dish since 2001 and never got any credit. I admit it has crossed my mind to call for a discount.

I guess I justify this because I think it is messed up that new customers get the big discounts, wait out the contract then jump to the next service. They just jump to whoever gives the best deal and later come back. It has to cost money to cancel and set these customers back up so I can see why a long time customer who pays their bill and does not churn would be pissed. Frankly I just don't understand this model.

Reactions: KAB
The model should be that the longer you stay with DISH , you end up with loyalty discounts for staying so long with the company. That way you don't feel the need to call and cancel and go to the competition to get their deals for new subs and then rebound to DISH for their new sub discounts. Like my Progressive auto insurance. For ever year you are there you get more discounts and they lower your bill -as long as you don't have accidents. I don't even feel the need to shop around because my auto insurance is staying low and even lower this year than last. Now if DISH did loyalty discounts that kept subs bills down , wouldn't that cut down on the amount of churn a year that they suffer now?

The model should be that the longer you stay with DISH , you end up with loyalty discounts for staying so long with the company. That way you don't feel the need to call and cancel and go to the competition to get their deals for new subs and then rebound to DISH for their new sub discounts. Like my Progressive auto insurance. For ever year you are there you get more discounts and they lower your bill -as long as you don't have accidents. I don't even feel the need to shop around because my auto insurance is staying low and even lower this year than last. Now if DISH did loyalty discounts that kept subs bills down , wouldn't that cut down on the amount of churn a year that they suffer now?
Mike, you make waaaayyyyyy too much sense. You would never make it in today's 'we lose money on every sale but make up for it in volume' business climate. I was with Dish for 13 years, and when I asked for some loyalty consideration, they told me there was nothing they could do. So I went to DTV for 2 years, and when my bill credits expired, and my bill was too high at DTV, I came back to Dish. In 15 months, I will once again leave Dish and go back to DTV for their new subscriber discounts. I don't like doing this because, by nature, I'm a loyal person, but the insatiable greed of corporations, with no loyalty to their longtime customers, forces us to bounce back and forth. I have nothing against corporations making a reasonable profit, but I also think that customer loyalty should be rewarded.

As an aside, I'm also looking forward to returning to DTV because I think that DTV's user interface is much friendlier, easier to use, and provides more information than does Dish's. And that surprises me because when I was with DTV, I was looking forward to returning to Dish because, when I left Dish, Dish's UI had been better than DTV's. However, in the 2 years that I was away from Dish, Dish had managed to muck up and degrade their UI to the point that it is now inferior to DTV's, in my not so humble opinion.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Mike, you make waaaayyyyyy too much sense. You would never make it in today's 'we lose money on every sale but make up for it in volume' business climate. I was with Dish for 13 years, and when I asked for some loyalty consideration, they told me there was nothing they could do. So I went to DTV for 2 years, and when my bill credits expired, and my bill was too high at DTV, I came back to Dish. In 15 months, I will once again leave Dish and go back to DTV for their new subscriber discounts. I don't like doing this because, by nature, I'm a loyal person, but the insatiable greed of corporations, with no loyalty to their longtime customers, forces us to bounce back and forth. I have nothing against corporations making a reasonable profit, but I also think that customer loyalty should be rewarded.

As an aside, I'm also looking forward to returning to DTV because I think that DTV's user interface is much friendlier, easier to use, and provides more information than does Dish's. And that surprises me because when I was with DTV, I was looking forward to returning to Dish because, when I left Dish, Dish's UI had been better than DTV's. However, in the 2 years that I was away from Dish, Dish had managed to muck up and degrade their UI to the point that it is now inferior to DTV's, in my not so humble opinion.
Remember. Sometime this summer the new GUI is gonna release for the Hopper. I am excited to see what it is like, from Scott's videos.

Last edited:
So, an insatiable desire to save money is OK, but an insatiable desire to make money is evil (greed)?

Do you invest your money at "modest" interest rates, or do you look for the best return?

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)