Out of Market Stations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jonathanketchum

Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
KS
What is the straight scoop on not being able to view out-of-market stations on DirecTV? We were able to see east coast FOX and ABC feeds in California; and Fox and ABC in omaha. We are now in western KS and DirecTV says the 380 channels are no longer allowed?

Are there still waivers or being grandfathered in?

Also DirecTV says we cannot get "local' channels in HD--even though we have HD TV and box. Local is Wichita which is 350 miles away!!:confused:

Is that the closest local market to your location?

You can always "move" your address to a market with HD locals, you just have be in the spotbeam

You have to call DTV and tell them you're "moving to a new address" presumably one thats in the area elgible for receiving the spotbeam. Then after they make the change on your account, you go online and change your billing address to your real one. You can't change your service addy yourself. Thats why you have to call DTV and have them do it but you can change your billing addy.Then you will still get your DTV bill at the right place while your boxes are coded for the other areas spotbeams

I guess it has somethign todo with the FCC, i know its crazy, but I guess its because those certain stations are only approved to be viewed in there areas by the FCC, but your not supposed to be able to view other eaqst and west feeds of local stations in your area, because i guess it comes down to allot fo legal issues besides the FCC, because you see its like this:

A local station could carry a tv show lets say the local FOX East channel (FOX 5) has made an agreement to have southpark on there network, well its local programming meaning the price that FOX 5 paid to Comedy central was only enough to cover there viewing area, and its goes out of those stations jurisdiction, because if everyone could view fox 5 on DirecTV is becomes a national Network then, and the price of there local programming shows taht are fill ins (like southpark) price would be totally different.

I know its complicated but thats pretty much why, it all comes down to money in the end, and has nothing todo with Directv, more with TV show Distributors, and Local Networks.

They do still have the paperwork to get approved for east and west stations, but its only supposed to be for people who cant get that network at all.

Last edited:
Like you said its all about money. We are supposed to be watching our local tv for this very reason. For example I get the STL locals rather than my own. So what happens is when the local businesses pay the local tv station for their advertisements, I dont see them because Im watching the STL channel instead. To the business thats a waste of their money since Im not seeing their crap lol. Then as a result they slowly stop wasting their money on commercials and as a result the local tv station in turn loses money from loss of revenue. Thats why they force you to watch your own locals.

You have to call DTV and tell them you're "moving to a new address" presumably one thats in the area elgible for receiving the spotbeam. Then after they make the change on your account, you go online and change your billing address to your real one. You can't change your service addy yourself. Thats why you have to call DTV and have them do it but you can change your billing addy.Then you will still get your DTV bill at the right place while your boxes are coded for the other areas spotbeams
That is pretty much it. You can however tell them to leave your billing address as is when you call them, so that you will not have to change it back later.

That is pretty much it. You can however tell them to leave your billing address as is when you call them, so that you will not have to change it back later.
Won't they try to schedule a tech to move/install to a new address?

Interesting info, thanks. I've often seen this subject mentioned on the satt forums but wasn't sure of the details of how to go about it

Just to clear is up for me, if I was do change my "moving" address, here's my questions:

I live in Dallas. I'm a CI subs and follow the NY area teams. If I "move" to the NYC mkt area, will that mean that I'll be able to get the MSG HD feeds of the Devils, Rangers, Isles, and Sabres on my "local" RSN feed (MSG in the 600's) and the NY-area local network channels? Or am I too far south to view the NY local network affiliates on the spot beam?

That will also mean that I'd lose my Dallas-area local channels, right? Also, I'd lose my local RSN? If that's true about losing my local RSN (FSSW), I would no longer be able to watch the Stars & Texas Rangers feeds on FSSW, but since I have MLB EI & NHL CI, I'd still be able to view those team's feeds in the 700's as part of those sports pkgs?

If they do try to bring up their moving services to you, all you do is lie and tell them you have your dish installed in the "new location" therefore there is no need for such services lol

You are totally correct. If you change to the NY addy you will lose your locals, your real local rsn's and pro sports telecasts like the Stars. To make matters worse you will NOT be able to get all the NY local tv because you're not going to be in the range of the spotbeam that carries their locals. Think you better not bother changing yours to the NY addy. Too m uch loss involved

You are totally correct. If you change to the NY addy you will lose your locals, your real local rsn's and pro sports telecasts like the Stars. To make matters worse you will NOT be able to get all the NY local tv because you're not going to be in the range of the spotbeam that carries their locals. Think you better not bother changing yours to the NY addy. Too m uch loss involved

Not entirely true. The big four are on CONUS beams, therefore available nationally, as are the rsns. You will not get WPIX and the like.

When I was talking about the rsn's I was telling him that he wouldnt be able to get the Stars anylonger since by changing his addy to an outside one that makes the games become out of market not the rsn itself becoming unavail. Yes the for conus channels are avail. I was talking about the other channels like you mentioned afterwards as being the ones that wouldnt be avail.

Thanks for the info. It's pretty much what I'd figured. It's not worth it for me to "move" just for those CI MSG HD feeds. That would have been the only reason to "move".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts