Outdoor power supply box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
This is for my CCTV system can anyone reccomend an OUTDOOR rated power supply box? Everyone i have found is rated for indoor use only. Can you also run 13 volts and 18 volts through a 12 volt if the amps under 1 amp? Voltage is the highway, amps are the cars on the highway.

Oh, I see. Why would you want that outside. Put that inside and run wires to each camera. Explain, why that needs to be outside.

It is generally a poor idea to put such things outside. Putting anything that generates heat in a NEMA 4 box is a bad idea as while the enclosure can protect the innards from moisture, there's no protection from two things that do comparable damage to electronics: heat and heat cycling. Modern power supplies are somewhat sophisticated electronic devices that are far less tolerant than their old-school linear cousins. Keeping them inside gives them much more of a fighting chance of lasting through a full spectrum of weather conditions.

Next time you pass by a cell tower or telco multiplexer cabinet, note the louvers and fans. This are necessary to mitigate the ravages of heat in electronics boxes that are outdoors.

I have to have it outdoor by my satellite dish because I only have one cable wire leading to the house inside. I can't drill holes through walls I have to run everything through windows and the management is getting upset with all the wires in the windows. I have outdoor power outlet that is grounded. The apartments haven't been updated since the 70's they only have one cable outlet for the TV.

Rock, meet hard place.

If you have to mount it out in the bare air, you probably need something that is IP64 (splashing) or higher rated. If you can hide it under something where it can't get rained on, you may be able to put some breather screens in it (bugs and slugs can get in if you don't use screening).

Outlet boxes don't need to breathe as, ideally, they don't generate any heat and nothing in them can't survive boiling temperatures.

Looks like the right stuff if you don't push the 10amp limit too hard. You need to figure out how to bush the cables that come out of the bottom so moisture and biologics can't get in.

The video (on the Security King web site) didn't say whether there was a fuse or fuses associated with the box.

If the outdoor outlet box is protected by a GFCI (as has been code for quite a few years), you need to know how to reset it in the event that it pops.

Its grounded in the oddly enough in the bathroom where it has a reset button. My old neighbor was working outside he caused a short. There wasn't a reset in the breaker box. It tripped the one in the bathroom.

I also was wondering can run my zinwell powered multi switches through it also. They only take .750 amp for each switch.

Dan, you need a power supply with the correct voltage for the device it's powering. A 12v supply won't run an 18V LNB properly, and an 18v supply will likely roast your 12v cameras. Also the amperage rating for the power supply should be more than the load; ideally double is a good rule. If you are planning on more cameras in the future, maybe triple. Use separate power supplies for different voltage requirements.

Zinwell multi-switches usually require 24Vdc at 1 amp each as you state above. I have a 10amp 24v supply to power three such switches from inside the house, and ran 60' or so 16/3 cu cable from the supply to the box where the switches are. Works fine so far. (knock on wood!)

For inside a sealed enclosure a fan helps to transfer heat to the outer walls to be radiated. The enclosure should be located in the shade if at all possible and painted white where exposed to sunshine. Behind a big C-band dish is a fine spot. :)

Just my 1 cent worth. :)

13 volts and 18 volts through a 12 volt if the amps under 1 amp?

My cameras are all 12 volt they are running power supply inside the apartment. My goal is to try to clean things up but make it work. Thank you for the advice cham. Cham can I run heavy duty extension cord from a grounded outlet to the outdoor distribution box. Do you guys think I am getting over my head with this?

Don't see why not, as long as you know how to wire up an outlet and have a basic idea of local electrical codes (or have a friend help that does). Use waterproof connectors for running the cable through the box wall, and weatherproof cable 14/3 of good outdoor quality for line voltage (125vac) stuff. Running it inside a (grounded metal) conduit is advised especially of under a lawn or where people walk etc. Fire and electricution hazard.
You could ask a professional electrition for advice too, or have them set it up for you. Can't hurt to at least get an estimate, maybe they would give you a deal.
If on your own property you can do anything (as long as it's safe), but on someone else's property (rental, condo, etc) you have to stick to electrical codes, and of course get the owner's permission before doing anything like this.
Good luck!
-C.
grounded outlet

If it were mine to wire, I'd lobby the property manager to get a variance for a lead-through hole in the wall since there's always going to be multiple cables. I've seen some pretty nice lockable cable entrances that can be trimmed and sealed in and they have rubber membranes that you can run several cables through; each in their own pre-cast hole. Unused holes get solid plastic plugs in them.

I live in apartment complex that hates anything people do outside on their apartment other than drugs they allow that happen. Thats why i have to do everything this way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)