Outernet Signal Found on Inmarsat 3F4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
After months of trying finally got the Outernet signal using a 30 inch Ku band dish and L-band helical. Signal is on Inmarsat 3F4 at 98.14W. Dish was rotated to 235 degrees using a compass, and elevation was adjusted for best signal. Published frequency is 1539.8725 but my dongle is a bit off frequency. Using Outernet In A Box software to test that the signal is truly Outernet, you can see it has locked onto the signal. Next is to decode whatever they are sending.

You use SDR# along with the Outernet In a Box software. Details are found on the RTL-SDR.com blog.

Attachments

• outernet signal.jpg
    outernet signal.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 281
  • outernet first pass.jpg
    outernet first pass.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
Update: the dongle was calibrated today against a NOAA weather channel and now the Outernet signal is exactly on frequency that was published. Shouda' calibrated it first before going off half-cocked.
Duhhhhhh! :sorrow

Attachments

• outernet signal 98.4W 100816 pic 2.jpg
    outernet signal 98.4W 100816 pic 2.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 247
List of downloads from the Outernet this morning, some photos, some news about deforestation slowing in Peru, Wikipedia topics, etc.

Attachments

• Downloads 101216.jpg
    Downloads 101216.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 269
One download from Outernet, hams using APRS via the ISS.....

I was tracking the ISS APRS about 4 years ago, I see now that there a lot more APRS messages.
I was using very old decoding APRS software, my Bearcat Scanner and a mobile 2 vertical in the house.

4 years ago, I was laid up with a fracture ankle, at the time and it took me about a month to work out the kinks in the set up.

What are you using as a APRS decoder and was the file right off of the ISS passing overhead???/

No it wasn't the ISS passing overhead, looks like the APRS loggings from the ISS that Outernet sends users.

No APRS decoder needed.

No it wasn't the ISS passing overhead, looks like the APRS loggings from the ISS that Outernet sends users.

No APRS decoder needed.
Got it, did you post an article on the L band antenna. I was going to take dismantle my dish for the winter, I can build an L band antenna and give it a try before I put the FTA stuff to bed for the winter..

I am working on getting all my robot and makers stuff up to pare. I am going to participate in the Makers weekend sponsored by Barnes and Noble. I will be at the Moorestown B&N Nov 5 & 6.

Are you going to the shortwave conf. in PA, this winter?? I never went and was always interested in going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)