Outrageous cost to upgrade!!

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
Also posted this in the Upgrade thread.

OMG!!! I've been with Dish for over 14 years, auto pay and Top 250. I PM'd Mary to see what my cost to upgrades to a 2/3 H/J system and here's her return message

"Hi, I am sorry I did not a chance to respond to you earlier. I have reviewed your account and to upgrade to a 2 Hopper and 3 Joey installation at this time would cost $700. It would be $200.00 for each Hopper and $100.00 for each Joey. I am not sure where we will be when the OTA is released but I hope we will have better news for you on the costs associated with he Hopper upgrade. Thank you!"

Is this a way to treat a long term customer. I'm retired and as much as I'd like to upgrade, there is no way I can afford that.

The dreaded Plan C mysterious criteria.

recent credits/discounts to your account? recent upgrades? late payments?

Well it is a known fact that Dish does not treat existing customers very well when it comes to upgrading to new technology/retention.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I've heard a few horror stories like that. Not judging you in any way, but either you requested to purchase the equipment, or something happened (you would probably know) and Dish no longer gives you upgrades. I've been with Dish for 3 years, upgraded twice, am not on paperless or autopay. $99.

Not sure if it was you or not, but I did read in another post that Dish doesn't offer upgrades if the customer was given any sort of "credit" to the account. If this in fact is true, I think it's a pretty poor practice. I was going to call Dish about my install yesterday. They set my appointment from 8-12. Tech shows up at 1:30. I had stayed home ALL day waiting for him (mising a day of work), but I had some important stuff to do at the office at 4 that I could not get out of. At 3:00 I ended up having to ask Dish to leave. I got back home around 9:30, came on here, resolved my issue and got my Joeys to connect.

So the tech was 1.5-5 hours late (depending on how you look at it), and I still ended up doing a self install because they coudn't get it working. Yet, I'm afraid to call Dish because I don't want it to come back and bite me in the butt 5 years from now when dish offers a hologram upgrade for free (and they tell me it'll be $1200)

Never had any credits, that I know of except that I accepted an offer FROM Dish for free Platinum. Never late because I've been on auto/paperless billing for years. Except for my original set up with Dish when I bought my 1st 2 receivers from Grady's in NH, I've been on leased equipment every since. I know of no reason why I would be on the S**T list. AS much as I'd like to upgrade, at this cost, I'll stay with my 722/211 system.

Never had any credits, that I know of except that I accepted an offer FROM Dish for free Platinum. Never late because I've been on auto/paperless billing for years. Except for my original set up with Dish when I bought my 1st 2 receivers from Grady's in NH, I've been on leased equipment every since. I know of no reason why I would be on the S**T list. AS much as I'd like to upgrade, at this cost, I'll stay with my 722/211 system.
I wouldn't let them off that easy. I would demand a reason for the high upgrade cost. That would let you know how E* "values" you as a customer.

I replied to Mary's message and did ask why. I'll have to wait till she comes on later today. Maybe another DIRT member is monitoring this thead and can look into it.

I wouldn't let them off that easy. I would demand a reason for the high upgrade cost. That would let you know how E* "values" you as a customer.

I'm the one who posted in another thread how a supervisor finally admitted that my account had "received credits unavailable to others" and was thus ineligible. Pretty disgusting that they penalize existing customers like this. And trust me, after dealing with over half a dozen reps (including their "DIRT" team) they really don't care if you leave. If you received credits (let's call them Dish LOANS instead) then you are not getting the discount.

I can't believe those prices didn't cause Mary to investigate why before responding to you.

Sent from my phone...

Last edited:
I tried again yesterday and was told that they were no longer available for lease, and that I could buy one for 547.00. This after Yesterday I was told I could upgrade for 300.00 This company is full of crap, time to go the BBB. This the worst business practice I have ever seen.

DetFan said:
I tried again yesterday and was told that they were no longer available for lease, and that I could buy one for 547.00. This after Yesterday I was told I could upgrade for 300.00 This company is full of crap, time to go the BBB. This the worst business practice I have ever seen.

Did you PM a DIRT member?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Not sure how to go about that, but I asked them the famous CEO address and they gave me an address which gets bounced back to me. They probably thought that was funny, I sure didn't.

YES It truly is a "NEW DAWN at DISH". But it is the same old alienating business practices that encourage subs to CHURN. How stupid is it to penalize existing subs ,who have been with you for years . Especially since the existing subs are the ones that have followed the building and release of the new technology and who now want to upgrade to those receivers. And if you somehow got credits from DISH over the years ,because of any reason ,they penalize you even further. Now the only way to get them FREE is to cancel your account and re subs as a new sub under a spouses name and social security number. This is why people like me have bought their receivers all these years. Although this year I will be waiting till ota is supported and possibly the dual hopper integration is working.

Now all those pissed off current subs are going to spread the negative word of mouth to everyone they know about how they were treated and most likely go to the competition. STUPID DISH! Y'all are never going to learn how to give good customer service.:rant:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts