outside the lines (spotbeam)

snocrazy

Original poster
May 13, 2008
My setup-
dish network 1000.2 dp plus triple LNB
I have 3 coax cables between the lnb and a DP44 switch.
This dish is set up to 110, 119, and 129 satellites.
VIP 722

my location
munising, mi 49862
About 15 miles south of lake superior.
It looks like I am about 35 o 40 miles outside of the yellow line on the spotbeam map.
I used to get the HD locals for Chicago (where I live) but they were pretty weak. Satellite 129W transponder 09 currently has a signal strength of 6%. The local hd channels are not comming in. I am going to try to dial the dish for 129w transponder 9.

My Question-
I have a 4th connection on the LNB for what I hear is called a wing dish.
I am wondering if I get a 90mm dish with a lnb and aim it directly at 129 will it boost the signal for 129W transponder 9 spotbeam 22?
Is being that far out of the spotbeam mapped area going to be a streatch no matterwhat size dish? Any recomendations you can make are appreciated. (places to buy- what to buy)
129W transponder 09 spotbeam 22

Here is a link showing the spobeam I need to tap in to.
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

I have learned a lot from this site. I really appreciate having such a great resource. I am new to the satellite thing and this site took the voodo magic of satellites and learned me real good :)

Attachments

• DSC00514.jpg
    DSC00514.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC00525.jpg
    DSC00525.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00527.jpg
    DSC00527.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 114
  • P9210566.jpg
    P9210566.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 112
I just checked the map on that beam and that zip code would require something like a 1.8 meter dish or possibly larger for a reliable signal.

You'd probably be better off with something off of this beam:
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

The spotbeam you are showing is for local Michigan programming. I want my Bears, Hawks, Bulls, Whitesox from the local Chicago channels.

So is it pointless for me to get a larger dish and try to peak on that spotbeam if I am geographically challenged? I was able to get the HD channels in the past.

When Echo5 was at 129W the HD was conus (whole US). now with spotbeams they pinpoint the area

so what you could get 6-7 months ago might not be what you can get now ;)

You could snag it with a larger dish but I do not think the 90cm will cut it. Go bigger.. if I remember right you were in between the 120cm and 180cm range for decent signal. Spotbeams fall off quickly in signal... You could always do the AllAmericanDirect thing for chicago HD on CONUS 110...but it is kinda pricey but would be guaranteed to work. I would drive around your area and look for some old giveaway big dishes before spending money and finding out the signal drops at night as the satellite bounces around in its "box".

You could snag it with a larger dish but I do not think the 90cm will cut it. Go bigger.. if I remember right you were in between the 120cm and 180cm range for decent signal. Spotbeams fall off quickly in signal... You could always do the AllAmericanDirect thing for chicago HD on CONUS 110...but it is kinda pricey but would be guaranteed to work. I would drive around your area and look for some old giveaway big dishes before spending money and finding out the signal drops at night as the satellite bounces around in its "box".
Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. No one around seems to be interested in HD. All I see are the single lmb dishes. Here and ther eI see the mega dishes. (mounted to the ground and prob over 6 foot. There are 3 of them.

Known DVR Issues 722k

Issue with new 612 install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)