Oval 3 LNB install question...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arkapigdiesel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
How much more difficult is it to point an oval 3 LNB -vs- the 2 LNB 18" oval? I'm still a dish pointing virgin, so bare with my goofy questions.

I can point the 2 LNB oval in no time flat, but was curious if the 3 LNB was a lot of extra trouble or not due to the skew adjustment?

Thanks in advance for any input fellas.

Not hard at all. Just make sure the mast is plumb and set the skew and elevation as shown on the receiver. Then move the dish around the azimuth listed.

Now if you want to aim the 5LNB, that's a bit harder.

BTW, are you sure it's the 3 LNB dish you want to aim or the 5 LNB? The 5 LNB looks like it has only three, but the middle "buld" actually contain 3 LNBs.

Not hard at all. Just make sure the mast is plumb and set the skew and elevation as shown on the receiver. Then move the dish around the azimuth listed.

Now if you want to aim the 5LNB, that's a bit harder.

BTW, are you sure it's the 3 LNB dish you want to aim or the 5 LNB? The 5 LNB looks like it has only three, but the middle "buld" actually contain 3 LNBs.
It's definitely the 3 LNB. I have the Slimline 5 installed at my house and am aware of what it looks like. According to a D* cust serv rep (that's scary), I will need a minimum of the 3 LNB dish to get locals and all the other channels once my 72.5 is mirrored the latter part of this month.

My locals are being mirrored to the 119 sat (accourding to D* cust service rep) the latter part of this month, hence me needing one dish to get all of the channels when I'm travelling. I could install two 18" ovals, with one pointed at 101 and one at 72.5 but would rather not go through that hassle.

Anyway, long story short....I'm planning on getting an oval 3 LNB, but wanted to make sure the install/pointing portion wasn't too involved. :D

The single LNB is the original oval 18" dish! What you had and are talking about was a single LNB with dual outputs.

If you have a 2 LNB model that was the 2 LNB elliptical Phase II and it should be nearly zero setup difference from the 3 LNB (or elliptical Phase III) the Phase II was simply the same dish that did not have the center SAT-C kit installed (the 3rd LNB) but it still has the same exact Elevation, Azimuth AND Skew (or tilt) setup needs.

In today's DirecTV world you should be installing/upgrading to the 5 LNB dish, NOT installing a Phase III simply to be future ready and not have to change yet again; soon

The single LNB is the original oval 18" dish! What you had and are talking about was a single LNB with dual outputs.

If you have a 2 LNB model that was the 2 LNB elliptical Phase II and it should be nearly zero setup difference from the 3 LNB (or elliptical Phase III) the Phase II was simply the same dish that did not have the center SAT-C kit installed (the 3rd LNB) but it still has the same exact Elevation, Azimuth AND Skew (or tilt) setup needs.

In today's DirecTV world you should be installing/upgrading to the 5 LNB dish, NOT installing a Phase III simply to be future ready and not have to change yet again; soon
I think he's only using it for traveling ...
Said he had a 5 lnb at the house.

Jimbo

I got that but I would hate to see a user need access to 99 or 103 and not be able to get it; might as well always have the 5 LNB in the bag just in case.

I think he's only using it for traveling ...
Said he had a 5 lnb at the house.

Jimbo
Yep. The 5 LNB slimline is a little too large to carry around the front compartment of my 5th wheel camper. Plus, I don't have a hi-def TV in there yet and probably won't anytime soon. I need to be able to view locals & the rest of my channels, the phase 3 will allow me to do that.

Yep. The 5 LNB slimline is a little too large to carry around the front compartment of my 5th wheel camper. Plus, I don't have a hi-def TV in there yet and probably won't anytime soon. I need to be able to view locals & the rest of my channels, the phase 3 will allow me to do that.

Solution : Take the reflector off when packing, it's only 4 bolts.

The Phase 3 will work until they move everything to MPEG4.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)