Over The Air Scanning Questions (PSIP data missing post here)

DIGITAL~DAN

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 9, 2004
WILMINGTON,N.C
For all of you out there that are having a problem getting there local digital channels due to PSIP data problems here is the best way to solve your problem.

If you have a directtv/dish network/or over the air digital receiver then this option may be of use to you.

I have my toshiba dst3000 sat receiver and voom receiver both hooked up to my antenna and it works great.If you would like to try this option then go buy a two way splitter and hook them up,if anyone out there needs any help with the hookup details I would be glad to help..................DIGITAL~DAN

I was not telling anyone to go buy a better box I was just letting people that didn"t know that there were other options out there untill voom finishes the supermega DMA.thanks.......DIGITAL~DAN

DIGITAL~DAN said:
For all of you out there that are having a problem getting there local digital channels due to PSIP data problems here is the best way to solve your problem...
Is anyone really having this problem? Are there any digital stations out there that do not transmit the three required fields (Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name)?
Please explain. I am confused.

Ilya,I know of three people so far that are having the same problem so I thought it would be nice if people new they had other options when it comes to OVER THE AIR.
Some tv stations did not buy the PSIP generator that is required to send the PSIP data and that is one of the requirements that the voom software needs to add the channels to you guide when you do a channel scan..........I am having the same problem with one of my abc stations right now and they do not plan on buying a PSIP generator untill some time next year...............................thanks.............DIGITAL~DAN

DIGITAL~DAN said:
Some tv stations did not buy the PSIP generator that is required to send the PSIP data and that is one of the requirements that the voom software needs to add the channels to you guide when you do a channel scan
Interesting... Well, if that's the case, can we start compiling the list of such stations?
So, what does dst3000 show for those channels? Just the RF number? Or can you enter the station name and number yourself? Just curios.

I was wondering why some stations wouldn't register even though there is adequate signal strength.

Thanks

FYI Guide information is from the Satellite with the DirectV or Voom receivers. Unless you have a receiver like DTC-100 or built in TV receiver to get the guide from the limited OTA stations that transmit a complete PSIP stream.

If the station transmit at least the (61.1 to 10.1) and station ID voom should be able to pick up the channel but the guide information is from the satellite.

DTC-100 guide from the station not the satellite
All other Directv receivers get information from the satellite

It does not need the entire stream but the following:

PSIP must be available in the stream with at least the following three fields present: Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name. You may sometimes see the scanning process pause when it hits a signal and then not actually save the channel. What is happening is that the scanning process is paused to allow a reasonable amount of time for PSIP data to come in even for low quality signal level. If no channel is saved after one of those pauses, it is likely because it failed to obtain the required data from the stream.

Sean Mota said:
It does not need the entire stream but the following:

PSIP must be available in the stream with at least the following three fields present: Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name. You may sometimes see the scanning process pause when it hits a signal and then not actually save the channel. What is happening is that the scanning process is paused to allow a reasonable amount of time for PSIP data to come in even for low quality signal level. If no channel is saved after one of those pauses, it is likely because it failed to obtain the required data from the stream.

I noticed that in the scanning. Do you think Voom will fix this, or can they fix it?

VewDew said:
I noticed that in the scanning. Do you think Voom will fix this, or can they fix it?

This is up to each local station to pass the stream with the information. Right now there's not much that can be done with the OTA Scannning and this information missing.

What I heard is that VOOM is working on a super DMA db that will map channels from multiple DMAs. That will be a solution to the station not passing the PSIP data. However, this is not going to happen tomorrow but maybe not until October/November.

It's still a little early and I'm having a little problem understanding.

If your channel scanning picks up a station but its not transmitting the PSIP, does this mean that you can't tune to it?

New OTA Channels and PG

The new software update gave me a few new channels through OTA scanning. I have no PG info yet for these new channels, because they weren't in my map. Should the PG info show up soon or do I have to do something else?

I'm using TitanTV for my listings - I have the same issue as you.

If you're not familiar with it - TitanTV is great because I can create a "favorites" list that is a combination of cable, Voom, and OTA - as well as having separate and full cable, satellite, and OTA listings.

The only problem is that it doesn't provide programming for the Voom exclusives. Hopefully, that will be resolved at some point soon.

agregjones said:
The new software update gave me a few new channels through OTA scanning. I have no PG info yet for these new channels, because they weren't in my map. Should the PG info show up soon or do I have to do something else?

If you don't get PG for the new channels found by the scanning software, send me an email with your full address and the channels in question. Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us

Even though the scanning software will facilitate getting to tune to the channel, the PG information still needs to come from your satellite. This information is provided by Tribune.

JimP said:
If your channel scanning picks up a station but its not transmitting the PSIP...
The way I understand it, the channel scanning will not pick up a station that does not transmit PSIP. It will be skipped. But if such station is already part of your pre-defined OTA map it will work without problems. So, make sure to report any non-PSIP stations to VOOM, so they could be included in your local OTA MAP and into the bigger, super-DMA map when it becomes available. For starters, please report any non-PSIP stations here in this thread.

DIGITAL~DAN said:
Ilya,I know of three people so far that are having the same problem so I thought it would be nice if people new they had other options when it comes to OVER THE AIR.
Some tv stations did not buy the PSIP generator that is required to send the PSIP data and that is one of the requirements that the voom software needs to add the channels to you guide when you do a channel scan..........I am having the same problem with one of my abc stations right now and they do not plan on buying a PSIP generator untill some time next year...............................thanks.............DIGITAL~DAN

Every station has to have PSIP info. They can't go on the air without one and couple other things. They do not need to use all the features but it has to have channel mapping info. That is part of the standard and there are no questions about it. The problem is that sometimes PSIP data gets corrupted and some receivers do not like it. Most times all they need to do is reboot the PSIP generator.

OTA scan and PG

I think I may have found a major defect with the new OTA scanning software. Yes, you can scan multiple times with different antenna aiming and VOOM will not delete the channels you previously scanned. However when you save the current scanning results, VOOM will only pull in the PG for those channels recently scanned. That is bad because I have a rotor for my antenna and I watch different sets of channels by aiming my antenna to different angels. With the new scanning software, I cannot get the PG for all the channels I want at the same time. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Thanks,

RogerD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts