Over The Air Scanning Questions (PSIP data missing post here)

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Send me your full address as well. Those channels that are scanned will not have PG. This information will need to be sent to Tribune so that it can be updated. Send me the information. Thanks.

RogerD

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
May 29, 2004
Sean,

Someone just closed a thread that I started similar to this one. However what I am reporting is different from the problem discussed in this thread. This thread points out a problem that you do not get the PG for the new channels found in the OTA scan that was mapped before. The problem I have is that I lost the PG I used to get on some channels. I think the reason is because VOOM only pulls in the PG for you for the channels you last scanned and saved. I use an antenna rotor because the NBC channel in my area is in an almost opposite direction of the other channels. With one antenna angle aiming I cannot successfully scan and find all the channels I can receive. If I saved my OTA scan result which did not find the NBC channel. Gradually I would lose the PG for NBC.

RogerD

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
RogerD said:
Sean,

Someone just closed a thread that I started similar to this one. However what I am reporting is different from the problem discussed in this thread. This thread points out a problem that you do not get the PG for the new channels found in the OTA scan that was mapped before. The problem I have is that I lost the PG I used to get on some channels. I think the reason is because VOOM only pulls in the PG for you for the channels you last scanned and saved. I use an antenna rotor because the NBC channel in my area is in an almost opposite direction of the other channels. With one antenna angle aiming I cannot successfully scan and find all the channels I can receive. If I saved my OTA scan result which did not find the NBC channel. Gradually I would lose the PG for NBC.

RogerD

Roger,

The OTA Scan Function does not delete channels found or the ones that are mapped. It is a cummulative process. You would not lose the mapped channels. Was that your question?

oddwunn

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 5, 2004
You are only going to get info for channels mapped to your DMA.

What good is that? Isn't that the point of channel scanning in the first place? I mean, the idea is to scan the available channels and then have them appear in your guide.

I also have a rotor and point my antenna in 4 different directions (using a MyHD tuner card in my PC) to get various stations. Right now my DMA is mapped to Boston (with Voom), but I want to get guide info for Providence, New Bedford, and Worcester. So if I choose to scan those three areas, then I will still only get guide info for Boston anyway?

Yes, you can scan multiple times with different antenna aiming and VOOM will not delete the channels you previously scanned.

Well, at least they were smart enough to do that, but do they have any provisions for MANUALLY adding stations?

With the new scanning software, I cannot get the PG for all the channels I want at the same time.

But can you at least punch in the numbers for channels that are not in the guide, yet were successfully scanned? If this would work, at least we could see the guide for the mapped channels and then punch in the numbers for the unmapped ones. That's better than nothing.

Another question before I scan. On my first scan, if I am only successful scanning let's say, half of the mapped channels, will ALL of the mapped channels still appear in the guide, just like RogerD mentioned in regard to multiple scans? I don't want to lose any of the channels already mapped, as I can receive more of them in the winter than I can in the summer.

Email Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with your channels you need and the city they are coming from.

Can I have my channels mapped to multiple cities?

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
oddwunn said:
What good is that? Isn't that the point of channel scanning in the first place? I mean, the idea is to scan the available channels and then have them appear in your guide.
They are in the PG it just says 'no info'.

oddwunn said:
I also have a rotor and point my antenna in 4 different directions (using a MyHD tuner card in my PC) to get various stations. Right now my DMA is mapped to Boston (with Voom), but I want to get guide info for Providence, New Bedford, and Worcester. So if I choose to scan those three areas, then I will still only get guide info for Boston anyway?
Until you email Sean and he helps to resolve it.

oddwunn said:
Well, at least they were smart enough to do that, but do they have any provisions for MANUALLY adding stations?
UNK

oddwunn said:
But can you at least punch in the numbers for channels that are not in the guide, yet were successfully scanned? If this would work, at least we could see the guide for the mapped channels and then punch in the numbers for the unmapped ones. That's better than nothing.
That is how it works.

oddwunn said:
Another question before I scan. On my first scan, if I am only successful scanning let's say, half of the mapped channels, will ALL of the mapped channels still appear in the guide, just like RogerD mentioned in regard to multiple scans? I don't want to lose any of the channels already mapped, as I can receive more of them in the winter than I can in the summer.
Yes

oddwunn said:
Yes, email Sean.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
VewDew said:
If I can get the RF signal but it doesn't lock, can that channel be mapped by Voom to my receiver?

Umm... Yes and No.

Yes, it it happens to be part of your current DMA.

No, if it's not. By October/November the answer will be yes because they are working on a super DMA mapping.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
oddwunn said:

See my previous response regarding this. The OTA scanning works for multiple DMAs. The mapping of channels by VOOM not yet.

oddwunn

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 5, 2004
No, if it's not. By October/November the answer will be yes because they are working on a super DMA mapping.

Yeah, just map every channel within a 100 mile radius. That should take care of every possible scenario. :D

RogerD

May 29, 2004
Sean,

No, that was not my question. I know VOOM saves all the channels ever scanned. My complaint was VOOM seems to only pull in the PG for those channels saved in the most recent scan. In my case I have to aim my antenna in different angles (using a rotor) to receive all the channels I want. I am not able to have VOOM pull the PG for all the channels I want because not all of them are found in one single scan. Those channels were mapped in my area before and I used to receive the PG for all of them with the previous version of software. With the new scanning software, I would gradually lose the PG for NBC, for example, because the recent scan saved does not include that channel for the reason that the antenna was not pointing at the direction to receive it during the scan. I hope I have expained it well. But if not, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

RogerD

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
RogerD said:
Sean,

No, that was not my question. I know VOOM saves all the channels ever scanned. My complaint was VOOM seems to only pull in the PG for those channels saved in the most recent scan. In my case I have to aim my antenna in different angles (using a rotor) to receive all the channels I want. I am not able to have VOOM pull the PG for all the channels I want because not all of them are found in one single scan. Those channels were mapped in my area before and I used to receive the PG for all of them with the previous version of software. With the new scanning software, I would gradually lose the PG for NBC, for example, because the recent scan saved does not include that channel for the reason that the antenna was not pointing at the direction to receive it during the scan. I hope I have expained it well. But if not, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

RogerD

So what you are saying is that when you did your scan NBC came up and replaced the NBC that had your PG information. So now you have no PG information on NBC? (I am just using NBC as an example). Is this what is happening?

RogerD

May 29, 2004
So what you are saying is that when you did your scan NBC came up and replaced the NBC that had your PG information. So now you have no PG information on NBC? (I am just using NBC as an example). Is this what is happening?

Sean,

Not quite. Using NBC as an example again. I had the NBC channel mapped and its PG before. In order to receive NBC, I have to point my antenna to a degree of 14. Most of my other local channels can be received with my antenna pointing at degree 310. Now suppose I point my antenna to degree 310 and do an OTA scan. The scan will find all the local channels except NBC. So I choose the "SAVE and CONTINUE" option in the OTA scanning menu. Good I still have the NBC channel in my list. If I want to watch NBC,
I can do that by changing to the NBC channel and point my antenna to degree 14. That is all fine except that now I will lose the PG for NBC after some time. I think VOOM stops pulling the PG for NBC because my last scan saved did not include the NBC channel. Now if I do an OTA rescan again with my antenna pointing to degree 14. The scan will only find the NBC channel but not the other channels. Now do a save. The PG for the NBC channel will come in after some time but the PG for the other channels will gradually disappear with "no info". It may take a long time for you to notice this.

-RogerD

RogerD

May 29, 2004
Sean,

I will send you the info once I get home from work.

Thanks,

-RogerD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)