Overzealous parental controls

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I enabled the parental controls on both our Hopper and Joey. The primary reasons are to hide the adult channels plus block purchases, i.e. PPV, etc, without knowing the PIN.

Why does removing channels from the guide fall under PC ? I suppose people remove channels that they don't want others to see....

Why does it stop me from copying the blocked channel list from the Hopper to the Joey ? I have to go to the Joey, unlock it, go back to the Hopper, and try the "copy" again !

Why does it apply to "Home media center" (or whatever that's called) ?

Dish's PCs have always bugged me in their overzealousness. For example, if I unlock a recording on one receiver that's been locked on the other, I have to enter the PIN. Fine.... If I want to watch a 2nd (or 3rd, etc) recording, you have to unlock it again ! I don't think having a "Remember" checkbox, even with a user-definable time frame would be unreasonable. Even worse in this scenario, and this is from memory, when you select a "Locked event" from the DVR list, it prompts for the PIN. Enter it... When you tell it to start, guess what ? It prompts you again ! Well, that was the case on the 722k. Not sure if it's this way on the H/J yet.

Ran into another problem....

Tried to tune one of the Sirius (99-xx) channels and it prompted me for the PIN. Why ? Is "Restrict Purchases = Yes" doing it ? It should NOT be... Just turned that off (to "No") and didn't help.

The message I get is "The event is locked" and I need to enter my PIN.

I feel lonely here... :eek:

Found out the issue with the Sirius channel. It's rated "NR" and it looks like Dish blocks that by default, at least when PC are enabled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts