P283 Where are you?

Moman19 said:
After much complaining, DISH swapped receivers fo me. But the issue remains.
Common sense dictates that the issue must be in the receiver.
I'm not sure how those two lines support each other. If the hardware and the firmware is the same between the two, the problem could be in either or both. Anyway, 282 took an irritant for me, and turned it into an intolerable condition. We've found that a firmware update can make the problem worse, so it's feasible that a firmware update can also make the problem go away.

The biggest "improvement" I see of 282 over 281 was the ability of the receiver to reboot itself automatically after the BSOD arrives.

Some fix.

I'm happy with my 282. I'm not sure what happened to some people with the OTA freeze but it only happenend to me once. But verything else has been perfect. No BSOD no aqurining signals when going into guide, it's been great.

If you are having BSOD problems with 282 when switching OTA channels, try the following: First, go to setup and DELETE all your OTA channels. Having done that, reset your 811, either by turning off the tuner with the front panel button and holding it for 10 seconds or by pulling the power plug for a minimum or 30 seconds. Then turn the 811 back on. After it reacquires signal, go to setup again and scan for OTA channels. This is a paraphrase of what nippjas has posted in the past. I hope I got it right. (It worked for me, and I no longer get the BSOD. Now, if I could only be able to get the guide without a download :( ).

Cholly said:
If you are having BSOD problems with 282 when switching OTA channels, try the following: First, go to setup and DELETE all your OTA channels. Having done that, reset your 811, either by turning off the tuner with the front panel button and holding it for 10 seconds or by pulling the power plug for a minimum or 30 seconds. Then turn the 811 back on. After it reacquires signal, go to setup again and scan for OTA channels. This is a paraphrase of what nippjas has posted in the past. I hope I got it right. (It worked for me, and I no longer get the BSOD. Now, if I could only be able to get the guide without a download :( ).

I did that exactly. I got the BSOD on the 3rd channel I surfed immediately following. That doesn't work..... :mad:

Bobby said:
I did that exactly. I got the BSOD on the 3rd channel I surfed immediately following. That doesn't work..... :mad:

I have spent hours, and I mean hours on the phone with E* and every tip they have given me has not worked, same tricks as on this site. Waste of time on this box.

I found another gem today. Don't go crazy switching between 720p and 1080i or the HD output may just go dead. This happenend to me today. Pulling the plug fixed this

Moman19 said:
The biggest "improvement" I see of 282 over 281 was the ability of the receiver to reboot itself automatically after the BSOD arrives.

Some fix.

Aw come on, this fix is for us couch potatoes, what a deal not having to get up. New auto boot feature and they are not charging us! what a deal! :D

WeeJavaDude said:
And where do you get that number? If it was effecting 80% of 811 users, I would have expected an immediate rollback. I am not arguing the customer pain this bug effects if you run into, the point I was making is that not everyone is seeing it. I doubt it is damn near 80% . Polls on here are always skewed to the negative. People not having the problem are more likely not to vote and we are put a small percentage of the overall 811 base.

My neighbor is also having the same problem and she is not a member of this forum. She is too busy. But she did complain to *E. So I wonder how many people that do not belong or even heard of satelliteguys and are having these problems and called *E

I feel that *E received enough complaints to justify stopping the spooling.

I am aware that you are not having problems and I wish that we had a reason why you are not.

By the way WeeJava I want to thank you for posting the survey a few weeks ago, It does help to see the different software and hardware versions in hopes of isolating the problem. It is good to keep an open mind and look at these problems in a constructive and mature process.

Thanks again!

Bulldog said:
My neighbor is also having the same problem and she is not a member of this forum. She is too busy. But she did complain to *E. So I wonder how many people that do not belong or even heard of satelliteguys and are having these problems and called *E

I feel that *E received enough complaints to justify stopping the spooling.

I am aware that you are not having problems and I wish that we had a reason why you are not.

By the way WeeJava I want to thank you for posting the survey a few weeks ago, It does help to see the different software and hardware versions in hopes of isolating the problem. It is good to keep an open mind and look at these problems in a constructive and mature process.

Thanks again!

Getting the root cause is important and that was why I started the thread. It is always hard to get a idea of how wide spread an issues is and that is why I commented on the "80%" post. Personally I think it is off base, but there is no way to know for sure. From my experience if there was a software release that reached the field with the same description as this bug does and it effected 80% of the field one of two things would happen: Rollback immediately if possible or one fix release. None of these have happend.

Stopping the rollout does indicate that there was sufficient customer exposure to warrent it but I am sure that is a much lower percentage than 80%.

As for open mind, I hope I did not come across as trivializing this issue. It is not my intent. Based on the description, if I was having it I would be experience a lot of customer pain and frustration. The 811 has always had a way of effecting people differently. Not sure why this is the case.

My gut was telling me that it might be remote related and since I was using a Pronto 3000 that is why I was not seeing it. Well based on that poll, I don't think it is the case. Hopefully 2.83 will be out soon and it will take away the pain people effected by this are feeling.

WeeJavaDude said:
As for open mind, I hope I did not come across as trivializing this issue. It is not my intent. Based on the description, if I was having it I would be experience a lot of customer pain and frustration. The 811 has always had a way of effecting people differently. Not sure why this is the case.

No, you did not come across to me as trivializing the issue. I feel that your posts and threads help to stabilize issues and put them in perspective.

Cholly said:
If this procedure works for someone, they don't have the same problem I do. I went through this process (again) today. When it was done scanning OTA's, I tried surfing in the OTA range. I got the BSOD (again) on the first channel I got to where the signal meter was less than 50. This problem is ENTIRELY NEW to P282. Hey Dish, if you don't mind, PLEASE tell me how to get back to P281.

mdonnelly said:
If this procedure works for someone, they don't have the same problem I do. I went through this process (again) today. When it was done scanning OTA's, I tried surfing in the OTA range. I got the BSOD (again) on the first channel I got to where the signal meter was less than 50. This problem is ENTIRELY NEW to P282. Hey Dish, if you don't mind, PLEASE tell me how to get back to P281.

There is no way to get back to 281. The receiver does not have a revert capability. Infact none of the Dish receivers do that I am aware of. Would be a nice enhancement on the DVRs since they do have disk space they coudl use.

WeeJavaDude said:
There is no way to get back to 281. The receiver does not have a revert capability. Infact none of the Dish receivers do that I am aware of. Would be a nice enhancement on the DVRs since they do have disk space they coudl use.
Well, I was just hoping. I thought that since P281 was still out there being streamed by Dish, that there might be a way to zap P282 inside my chassis, and download P281. I guess the only way is to demand a replacement receiver, one that doesn't have P282 loaded.

mdonnelly said:
Well, I was just hoping. I thought that since P281 was still out there being streamed by Dish, that there might be a way to zap P282 inside my chassis, and download P281. I guess the only way is to demand a replacement receiver, one that doesn't have P282 loaded.

I understand your frustration, but personally I would not make that effort. I would wait until 2.83 and hopefully your issues is fixed. From what I know there is no way to tell what version of software is in what receiver. You might get lucky and get an receiver with the old version. By the time you get it though 2.83 might be in the wild. Then again with 2.82 on hold, you might get lucky!

Pils said:
I have spent hours, and I mean hours on the phone with E* and every tip they have given me has not worked, same tricks as on this site. Waste of time on this box.

Ditto. I even power-down my 811 every night before bed.....as instructed by Tech Support. But 18 hours later, when I turn it back on it'll give me the BSOD every time.

(Perhaps I should also kiss it on the forehead) :D

I just checked with E* tech support and they said that 2.83 will not spool until mid-January. The reason is that they were caught off-guard with the overwhelming complaints with 2.82. They wanted 2.83 to go through a more rigorous test by their "field" testing folks before it is released.
As I mentioned in my past posts on this forum, E* has a poor record of testing their software releases. I believe that they are coming around. Also, I believe they are monitoring this forum. So a big thanks goes to you Satelliteguys folks. You are providing a big help for us Dish Network owners as well as the Dish Network folks.
One last thing, this is for you E* engineers ( I know you read this). If you release a software rev or patch and everything is quiet from the customer front, consider that as a stand up ovation of your technical prowess.

Pils said:
It seems to be affecting damn near 80%. Whatever the percent, it should not have been released unstable. Paying customers deserve a stable product and can put up with an occasional bug but this is ridiculous. :mad:
I must be in the minority because It is not affecting me. I haven't had the BSOD in awhile either.

Signal on odd transponders on 121 getting lower

Use your voice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts