Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
A lot of people write me upset about things going on at Dish Network and wanting me to fix the issues. I wish I could click my fingers and make the problems go away.

A lot of people are currently upset at Dish Network for a number of reasons, many 921 owners are now upset that to get Over the Air Guide Data on their 921's that they must subscribe to locals from Dish. This to me is silly, if you can get your locals via antenna why pay for them. To add to this OTA Guide data is available for FREE to 811 owners. Over the past year 921 owners have been screwed over in a number of ways, and once again they are getting screwed over by this poor management decission.

I am also hearing some loud buzzing that Dish Network will announce another price increase just after the new year, and while it is not confirmed yet, I hear this price increase will affect everyone. Some users on the AT60 package were guarenteed no price increase until 2005, well folks surprise 2005 will be here soon. I am sure when this price increase is announced we will have more unhappy people.

So what can you do about all of this? The best thing you can do is not hold in your fustration, instead it is best to make a noise and use your voice. You can do that by posting your thoughts here to SatelliteGuys.US, where I know for a fact the folks from Dish read almost every message.

Another thing you can do is call Dish to voice your concerns, as you may know this Monday Dish Network is holding another Charlie Chat. I urge all SatelliteGuys members to once again flood the phone lines and demand answers. Although I would not be surprised if Dish once again made an excuse that the phone system was broken and did not take any live on air calls, on the last tech chat SatelliteGuys Members flooded the phone lines and that was the excuse that was given.

Another thing you can do is email, the best address to use is CEO@ECHOSTAR.COM however many users are starting to report that emails sent to this address are going unanswered. A few users yesterday posted some private email addresses for Echostar executives we have decided to remove those addresses because doing that just gives us a bad name with the Dish guys. So I ask that you please don't post those addresses here.

Overall we are almost 15,000 members strong which is 50% larger then any other Satellite Forum and we keep growing larger every day. If we work together and use our voices we can make a difference.

So please let your voices be heard!

Scott Greczkowski said:
To add to this OTA Guide data is available for FREE to 921 owners.
I think you mean 811 owners, no?
The best thing you can do is not hold in your fustration, instead it is best to make a noise and use your voice. You can do that by posting your thoughts here to SatelliteGuys.US, where I know for a fact the folks from Dish read almost every message.
Sort of off-topic, but I think a sweet job to have at Dish would be to be paid to just read (and post to) this board all day long. The member doesn't even have to be known on here as "that guy"--just another mysterious user lurking and posting stuff. It would be a beneficial position to the company, because this official member could provide weekly (or sometimes daily) summaries to Dish of what us customers are thinking, requesting, suggesting, etc. This person could be in charge of collecting all the bugs and problems listed here that we have with their receivers, and getting them to the right personnel. OK, so they would need a separate team to gather just the 522 bugs. ;) I'm quite happily employed and hope to stay that way for a long time :) otherwise I would nominate myself for the position. It would even be a great work-at-home telecommuting job. I have enough fun on here that it could be a worthwhile job.

Probably the best way to get E*'s attention is to vote with your pocket book. What incentive does E* have to change anything as long as the dollars keep rolling in.

I have quite a few things I'd like to see them change.. but alas, most of my list is about internal stuff.

Let me just say this: i believe Dish has a chronic problem with middle management. It seems the higher echelon either turns a blind eye or believes a fed line of BS.

Oh, and training CSR's wouldn't hurt too... and maybe sale partners who disclose vital things like fees and phone lines. It's not like E* has been sued for that before or anything.

One last thing.. WHERE'S THE DAMN DPPTWIN?!??!

My email has been sent and phone calls made. Some CSR's have no clue and others know, but aren't allowed to comment other than std policy. No respone on email yet. I submitted email from the website and one to CEO.

Many people are switching off of cable because of the price increases. When Dish Network raises their price after switching over I can see some churn that will result from this. Everybody that reads these boards long enough knows that the price increase is inevitible at the beginning months of the year.

It is not Dish Network's fault that they have to give a price increase though because of inflation and increasing rates that the companies are charging Dish for their channels. No matter what there is going to be some people out there that are not satisfied with their service. You cannot satisfy everybody. Not everything is going to be peachy, nothing is ever perfect. I can see a lot of negatives that have happened but people forget about all the positives as well.

If the increase is only $1 then there would probably be little problem with it. If it is $2-3 or more then it could create some issues and churn. It really makes a company look bad for someone to switch from cable to satellite then get an increase shortly thereafter (one, two, or three months later).

Dish Network could have kept the retail price of the 921's the same or only dropped the price slightly or in increments instead of a huge price break. It is better for them to have offered the big price reduction to some than to not have offered it at all. You cannot satisfy everybody.

It's just early this year when they advertised the "Feed the Pig" campaign. Right after that they increased their prices.

TuxCoder said:
I think you mean 811 owners, no?Sort of off-topic, but I think a sweet job to have at Dish would be to be paid to just read (and post to) this board all day long. The member doesn't even have to be known on here as "that guy"--just another mysterious user lurking and posting stuff. It would be a beneficial position to the company, because this official member could provide weekly (or sometimes daily) summaries to Dish of what us customers are thinking, requesting, suggesting, etc. This person could be in charge of collecting all the bugs and problems listed here that we have with their receivers, and getting them to the right personnel. OK, so they would need a separate team to gather just the 522 bugs. ;) I'm quite happily employed and hope to stay that way for a long time :) otherwise I would nominate myself for the position. It would even be a great work-at-home telecommuting job. I have enough fun on here that it could be a worthwhile job.

unfortunately according to my sources it is very badly against their company policy to post here. they do lurk frequently. I have received a few PM's from dish employees.

Yes Dish is here (and there are usually 4 or 5 people from Dish online at a time)

And if the price increase happens it will be done early next year. Dish likes to wait after cable companies raise their rates then they like to run adds like Stop Feeding the Pig because people are upset about the cable price increases, then once they have them signed up they raise the rates themselves.

BTW I have seen Dish post here a few times however I have not pointed those users out at all. :)

Ummmmmm let me chime in on the price issue.

If they increase their prices I will veiw it as comical........

I switched because of the "feed the pig" thing....

If they go up and cable becomes cheaper agian, well off I go.

It'd be pretty STUPID to up your prices after ads like they have had on

J3ff they did it last year AFTER they ran the don't feed the pig ads, there were a bunch of "Who's the pig now" posts here when that happened.

I rememebr that :)

I had just signed my dad up and then I had to explain why the rates went up

Well, if its any consolation, StarChoice in Canada already announced their price hike...and their brochure now has the new rates with a little note below the rates (XX.XX until Feb 2005)

I will definately be voting with my pocket book if rates are raised. I currently pay Dish over $100 per month for four receivers, AT180, plus HBO and Cinemax, plus the HD Pack. My wife and I have already talked about dropping HBO and Cinemax, and possibly dropping all the way down to the AT60 and maybe even losing a receiver. We just haven't really taken the initiative to do so. I guess you could say we are on the bubble. If Dish raises rates, that will certainly provide the impetus for me to make the phone call. I can't drop them because I'm hooked for a little more than one more year (I got in on the free 510 deal with a two year committment). With the current pixilation issues on the HD channels, high rates, and apparent lack of an organized plan to add more HD content any time soon, Dish is really on thin ice with me. I understand they have to make money. I can't begrudge them that. But I also have a responsibility to spend my money wisely, getting value for my dollar. And right now, Dish's value is dropping. Occasional free PPV coupons or three free months of some premium channels would go a long way to keeping me around. I hate to be negative about Dish. I was very critical of them just before we got ESPNHD, but in the end they came through for me. I would like to think I can trust them to come through again, but I just don't know. I don't hear enough credible rumors that will give me hope.

Good Member In Standing of the Bummed Out Club,

Price Hike?!?

Based upon my local prices for a comprable package, Dish Network is only Marginally cheaper than cable.

Here's my specific comparison:
- Dish (AT60, HBO, Showtime, HD, 2Distants, 2Rcvr, Tax): $80.53
- CableOne (DigitalPlus (~AT180; more channels), HBO, Showtime, Tax): ~$90

I encourage others to post their price comparison. I'm afraid Dish may not survive, at my house, with a price hike. What's the value add with a Dish?

mattbp said:
Price Hike?!?
I encourage others to post their price comparison. I'm afraid Dish may not survive, at my house, with a price hike. What's the value add with a Dish?

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and the only competition Dish will get from people like me is DirecTV, or VOOM. But your point is a strong one.

I hate to say it, but if things are the way they are now in 4 months (when my current annual prepay is up) I will be switching back to TWC. TWC finally got their HD DVR in my area.

While Dish has been rallying against the high prices of cable, TWC in my area is now cheaper for upper end customers. Yes the basic 77 channel rate is $43.34 (somewhere between AT60 and AT120 in channels but more than $39.99 of AT120 plus locals).

While price gouging the lower end customers, TWC has been making the upper end much more affordable:

Free Discovery HD
Free HD FSN

$5/month HD pack with both HDNet/Movies and INHD1 & 2

$1.75/month cable card TV (for cable card ready TVs), plus the analog free to all TVs

$15 discount on internet ($40/month) with cable subscription.

Movie packages are $7/month each with HD and a lot more channels than Dish (i.e. they carry them all).

The everything pack equivalent from TWC is now just $1/month more than Dish. Throw in the free UPN/WB TWC supplies rather than the superstations, the $5/month HDpack instead of $10, and the $15 discount on cable modem and TWC is less expensive now.

The only thing that Dish is "cheaper" on is the DVR fee, Dish waives it for the Everything pack TWC charges $9.99/month no matter how much programming. But of course you do not have to shell out $550 (or $1000 in my case for the 921) which would buy almost 5 years of DVR fee.

Charlie needs to wake up and realize that cable has decided to care less about the bottom feeders and is going after all the money making upper end customers. With the bundling they are getting a ton of revenue with internet/phone and leaving all the AT60 bottom feeders with bad credit to Dish.

I will be very disappointed if prices go up. I switched from cable to dish in October solely for the reason of saving a little cash. We have a little one in the oven so I have to think about cutting expenses any way I can. Even a dollar or two a month evetually adds up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)