Pac-12 Network

osu1991 said:
It still applies and the Big 10 Net and Pac 12 Nets are 2 different animals.

With a limited amount of bandwidth, the odds of Dish adding 7 channels for the Pac 12 are less than slim to none. Best case IMO is it may get treated like the Big 10 Net with the main channel being carried full time and the regional nets only picked up on game day, if there is a game on them, but I doubt the Pac 12 is going to want to allow this.

I don't think it does apply nearly as much as you think. College networks will show college content and not pro games that are blacked out for anyone outside a certain area. Most of the compelling content on the NY RSNs (or any pro focused RSN for that matter) is blacked out for everyone outside the region. So if it's a matter of national value versus cost distribution across subs, at least with college RSNs nothing will be blacked out.

That being said, I don't expect Dish to carry the networks. Too much bandwidth needed for all of them and I don't see the PAC 12 allowing national carriers to take the main channel without also taking the regional ones.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The original response was Dish would be biased for carrying Big 10 Net and not Pac 12 Nets. I said it was no more biased than not carrying the NY RSN's. In the context of what I was replying to it does apply. I wasn't replying in terms of content, just to the aspect of carriage. Just because Dish carries other RSN's doesn't mean it has to carry MSG or Yes, and just because it carries Big 10 Net doesn't mean it has to carry Pac 12 Net. Dish can be biased and carry whatever it wants.

osu1991 said:
The original response was Dish would be biased for carrying Big 10 Net and not Pac 12 Nets. I said it was no more biased than not carrying the NY RSN's. In the context of what I was replying to it does apply. I wasn't replying in terms of content, just to the aspect of carriage. Just because Dish carries other RSN's doesn't mean it has to carry MSG or Yes, and just because it carries Big 10 Net doesn't mean it has to carry Pac 12 Net. Dish can be biased and carry whatever it wants.

I agree with all that. I misread the context of your original post.

It's not DISH's fault that the PAC10 chose to become PAC12 and launch their own channels.

That understood, I subscribed to the FOX sports package specifically to get U Oregon football games that were not on national channels.

I also subscribed and pay for an account for my parents when I specifically verified many times that they got MSG for NY Ranger games a few years ago.

So now I'm paying about $2,000/yr to DISH.

I understand (based on posts on other threads) that DISH needs to do what DISH needs to do in order to be a successful business.

However, I also need to be a savvy consumer and decide that if I am spending this much money a year, I need to spend it on a provider that gives me the programming I want to see.

So if Mad Men/ Portlandia / Oregon Ducks Football/ Rangers hockey is not available because it is not in the financial interests of the provider - I will need to find a provider that meets my needs for the money spent.

I have been a DISH subscriber back in Oregon since the mid 1990's and since I moved here to Hawaii in 2000. I have always believed DISH has been the best value for my money. Unfortunately, the programming I and my parents value are being denied.

While DISH is being obstinate over MSG and AMC, if PAC12 becomes another denial, this will be another nail in the coffin for my subscription./

I also have told Dish I'm gone if they don't carry the Pac12 Nets. I've had Dish for 13 years and I'd hate to leave, but this content is too crucial to our household. I've already looked at the new customer specials on DirecTV in preparation for a move.

I just read DirecTV does not carry the PAC12 network either.

Yeah providers only control so much in the end it's always up to the Networks to get with the Providers so they can get their product out there. If the Networks do not do that in the end it will cost them..

Well, technically, no one does yet. It's hasn't lit up yet..... But yes, DirecTV hasn't signed on yet...

Right, no carriage agreements with anyone. But he sounded like he was ready to jump to Direct. I just wanted to let him know, they don't have it either...yet, if at all.

Right, no carriage agreements with anyone. But he sounded like he was ready to jump to Direct. I just wanted to let him know, they don't have it either...yet, if at all.

Wrong. Time Warner will have it.

On or about August 15, 2012 the following channels will be added to the Time Warner Cable Sports Pass: PAC-12
Network SD Ch 190 to all Buffalo channel lineups. Ch 291 to Olean/Olean North/Wellsville/Ulysses channel lineup. PAC-12
Network HD Ch 865 to all Buffalo channel lineups.
http://www.timewarnercable.com/MediaLibrary/4/152/Content%20Management/Documents/legal_1/legal_buffalo.pdf

Wrong. Time Warner will have it.

On or about August 15, 2012 the following channels will be added to the Time Warner Cable Sports Pass: PAC-12
Network SD Ch 190 to all Buffalo channel lineups. Ch 291 to Olean/Olean North/Wellsville/Ulysses channel lineup. PAC-12
Network HD Ch 865 to all Buffalo channel lineups.
http://www.timewarnercable.com/MediaLibrary/4/152/Content%20Management/Documents/legal_1/legal_buffalo.pdf

You are right, they have cable agreements.

I meant sat companies.

Here in Texas so this really doesn't affect me but an article from the AP in the Houston Chronicle from commissioner Larry Scott says negotiations with all remaining providers and he mentioned Dish & Directv have gone well.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SatelliteGuys

Yragha said:
Here in Texas so this really doesn't affect me but an article from the AP in the Houston Chronicle from commissioner Larry Scott says negotiations with all remaining providers and he mentioned Dish & Directv have gone well.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SatelliteGuys

This is a good sign!

And for all of you Duck fans... it probably doesn't matter if they sign or not (once your sanctions hit) ouch;)

I called DISH on Friday to confirm that I'm under no current obligations to continue with their service. I'm not - even though I just received a free Roku last month! I called Bright House and they're ready to offer "Lightning" internet WITH full TV service (over 200 channels) - for $40 a month less than I currently pay DISH for just television. That's a 24 month deal, but it still doesn't mean they have good equipment. Or allow me to use an EHD. PLEASE DISH - HELP ME STAY! Add the Pac-12 Network!

Here's an excerpt from MuiltiChannel News.com. It sounds as if PAC12 net negotiations with DISH will not be completed by launch date (8/15). However, the news conference expressed optimism about eventual carriage.

The full article can be seen here: Pac-12 Networks Adds More NCTC Affiliates, Continues Negotiations with Satellite, Telco Providers - 2012-08-11 01:59:00 | Multichannel News
=======================
During an Aug. 10 conference call with reporters Gary Stevenson, president of Pac-12 Enterprises, the content and multiplatform media company for the collegiate conference that bears its name, announced that the Pac-12 Networks had added eight more affiliates to its camp: Strata Networks and All West Communications in Utah; San Bruno Cable in the Bay Area; GCI in Alaska; LocalTel in Seattle; Ashland in Oregon; and CC Communications in Nevada.
Pac-12 also has a pact with Suddenlink, but was still working on what markets and networks the cable operator would offer, according to Stevenson.
With the most recent spate of deals, earlier NCTC agreements and charter affiliate pacts with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks and Cox, Stevenson said at this point Pac-12 Networks would pass up to 48 million U.S. homes as launch.
Stevenson discussed how providers are positioning the services. "A lot [of MVPDs] outside the six-state footprint are putting it on a sports tier. At this point, Cox has decided not to put it on a sports tier [in Oklahoma City and several other markets]," he noted. "We find it a little bit curious... I'm sure fans in Oklahoma who have Cox would want to let them know they want to see that game." Oklahoma State plays Arizona in football on Sept. 8.
He remains optimistic that the Pac-12 Networks' distribution roster will grow as it continues to press for carriage deals with DirecTV, Dish Network, Verizon FiOS and AT&T U-verse, among other affiliates.
"We're working at it day and night. We're having great conversations and are looking to work out business deals that make sense for the both of us," said Stevenson, adding. "We're perfectionists: we want everybody, but only have 50% of the vote."
Asked if he thought Pac-12 would have one or more of the aforementioned quartet on board by Wednesday's kickoff, Stevenson replied: "There is nothing we've heard that is discouraging from any of them. We don't expect all of them will be on at launch, but as we talk about our content, our fans who are the customers of those distributors will get what they want."

It was in my Cox phone/internet bill, that they were adding the Pac 12 net. OSU fans will get screwed as the majority of viewers in Oklahoma probably won't be able to see the OSU/Arizona game. Which is nothing new as OU and OSU had several games on FSN and FX during the Dish/Fox dispute several years ago. Just more fragmenting of the tv market with niche channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)